× Our systems will undergo a planned maintenance on Sunday, May 19, 2024, between 12:00 AM and 02:00 AM Pacific Time. During the maintenance window, you will not be able to log in to your MyNETGEAR account (including apps), renew a subscription, or register a product. However, you will still be able to use guest checkout to purchase a new product or subscription service. Updates will be posted to Status.NETGEAR.com. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.
× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Channel selection for Wi-Fi-Mesh Extender-EX8000 and EX7500

nyskala
Initiate

Channel selection for Wi-Fi-Mesh Extender-EX8000 and EX7500

I have an AC3200 Nighthawk X4 Cable Modem Router Model C7500. I receintly purchaced two Nighthawk WiFi Mesh Extenders. The first one is the EX8000 Mesh Extender and the second one is the EX7500 Mesh Extender. I am running the Cable Modem Router Model C7500 on Channel 6 for 2.4MHZ and 140 for 5MHZ because my neighbors are on Channel 1 and 11 on 2.4 MHZ.

My question is what channel should I be running the two Mesh Extenders? Should the run on the same channel as my Cable Modem Router Model C7500 (Ch 6 and 140) or should they run on different channels since they are mesh extenders? Do they complement each other by being on the same channel so that the switch between each other would be seamless when moving around the house or should they each be on seperate channels so they don't interfere with each other?

I live on a 1 acre lot so while my neighbors signals are visible, they are only at about 50% at my house.

Thanks!!

Model: EX8000|AC3000 Nighthawk X6S Tri Band WiFi Mesh Extender
Message 1 of 4

Accepted Solutions
plemans
Guru

You should be using the same channel as the router. 

You might run into issues when using the 2 mesh extenders at the same time if you're using the mesh setup for both. Reason why is if they loose connection to the router, they'll connect to each other if they can see each other. I usually recommend people move to a true mesh system if they're needing multiple extenders. (like orbi)

some people don't have a single issue with this and others are plauged with this issue. If it does happen, have one of the extenders have its own unique ssid from the other extender. this prevents them from connecting to each other. 

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 4

All Replies
plemans
Guru

You should be using the same channel as the router. 

You might run into issues when using the 2 mesh extenders at the same time if you're using the mesh setup for both. Reason why is if they loose connection to the router, they'll connect to each other if they can see each other. I usually recommend people move to a true mesh system if they're needing multiple extenders. (like orbi)

some people don't have a single issue with this and others are plauged with this issue. If it does happen, have one of the extenders have its own unique ssid from the other extender. this prevents them from connecting to each other. 

Message 2 of 4
nyskala
Initiate

Thanks for that explanation. That’s kind of what I was thinking as far as channel selection, but I couldn’t find a definitive answer anywhere until now. I didn’t want to set it one way and not get the most out of these extenders. They are definitely doing the trick for me in my situation. I have the router set up in the middle of the house and an extender on each side giving me unbelievable coverage with no dead spots. 100% better than a simple non mesh extender. Everything is seamless now and I now have no dead spots anywhere. I highly recommend the Netgear mesh extenders.
Message 3 of 4
plemans
Guru

Glad to hear it! Let us know if you have problems and we'd be happy to help 🙂 

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements