× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
× Introducing the new Orbi 770 Series Mesh System. To learn more click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Channels selection for Extender EX7700 working as Access Point

schilea
Aspirant

Channels selection for Extender EX7700 working as Access Point

Hi, I am having the next configuration:

- front entrance R7800 X4S. Not possible to move it centrally as I am having Cat5E cables between the entrance (via a niche in the wall) and each room. 

- Cat5E cable to the EX7700 upstairs

- EX7700 working as an access point, but same SSID as the router.

How to choose/select the channels for EX7700 for best performance and mesh network?

Option one, as it is now: same SSID, but different channels than R7800. Probably less interference, but I have noticed that this is not a true mesh as there are small drops when moving around the house.

or

Option two, as I am thinking next: same SSID, same channnels both on X4S R7800 and EX7700. This is the case for a true mesh network, but it is really working? Or there will be a lot of interferece in the network?

Also I noticed that Smart Connect it is not working properly so I am thinking on having 2 separate networks 2.4/5.

In the Netgear documentation there is nothing about setting the channels https://kb.netgear.com/000045827/How-do-I-set-up-my-Nighthawk-Tri-Band-WiFi-Mesh-Range-Extender-in-a...

Thanks,

Silviu

Model: EX7700|AC2200 Nighthawk X6 Tri-Band WiFi Mesh Extender
Message 1 of 8
plemans
Guru

When the EX7700 is running in ap mode, it doesn't function as a mesh device. Its why you're getting drops. it only functions as a mesh device when running in extender mode. 

You can use the same ssid as the primary router but devices will tend to be sticky and not roam properly. they stay connected to 1 device until their signal becauses unusable/drop entirely. 

So if you want it to function as a mesh setup, connect it using extender mode without the hardwired backhaul. 

If you'd rather have it in ap mode, i'd recommend using different ssids between the 2 devices. Also make sure they're (router/extender) on different wireless channels so they don't interfere with each other. 

Message 2 of 8
schilea
Aspirant

Thanks, this what I was initially thinking of, but I have seen some posts not confirming this approach.

Also, this is beyond my understanding, Netgear is implementing mesh using a less reliable 5G band and is not using for this the more reliable ethernet connectivity.

Message 3 of 8
plemans
Guru

The only system that supports wired backhaul (currently anyway) with mesh is the orbi mesh systems. 

the extenders have to use a different setup  since they're designed to operate with all routers, not just orbi routers. 

If you want a wired backhaul, then you'd need a full mesh system and not just a mesh extender. 

Message 4 of 8
schilea
Aspirant

Hi, what you said is not according to Netgear documentation https://kb.netgear.com/000060286/How-do-I-install-my-Nighthawk-Mesh-WiFi-Range-Extender-as-an-Access...
7 Click Access Point.
The setup verifies your Internet connection.
8. Enter the network name (SSID) and password of your router’s network.
Note: Using the same WiFi credentials as your router enables your extender to support the One WiFi Name feature. With One WiFi Name enabled, everyone in your network is able to move between your router and extender’s signal with no network interruptions.
Thanks,
Silviu
Message 5 of 8
plemans
Guru

devices can roam between router/ap but for truly seamless roaming you need 802.11k/r/v  or they tend to be sticky. 

I haven't seen any offical statements from netgear if the mesh extenders are able to use these roaming standards in AP mode. 

And I've asked a mod or 2 but haven't seen any responses back. 

@DexterJB 

it'd be nice if they did because then you could basically skip a full orbi setup and use the mesh extenders in AP mode. 

Message 6 of 8
schilea
Aspirant

Hi,

I raised a support ticket to Netgear and below is the answer, not sure it is correct at all so I have asked them to confirm me once again.

I highly suggest that you choose option two.
Same SSID, same channels both on X4S R7800 and EX7700.
Also, how about setting up extender as mesh extender rather than access point?  

Silviu

Message 7 of 8
plemans
Guru

I did hear back this time from a mod and in AP mode, they don't function as a mesh and roam seamlessly. 

If you're wanting it as a mesh, use it in extender mode

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi 770 Series