× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Choosing a MESH system for home office and streaming

Balcmeg
Follower

Choosing a MESH system for home office and streaming

Hi All,

I am looking for advice in finding a good system for my needs. 

The background:
Fiber gigabit in to the apartment, ending in living room where the router and Modem is placed. I then would want to have a wireless connection (right now all components are wired Gigabit ethernet) to the home office, ca 5 meters away with onlky wiiden door and glass in between. Due to the roomlayout ind design, a cable would not look very good, but I keep this option as a backup.

In the living room by the router is a VERO4k+ media playser wich I stream high-res audio and movies to. 

The movies and audio are located in two separate NAS in my home office and these 2 NAS are also backed up (only audio and files) to cloud in internet. I also have a iMac, wich syncronises to Two dropboxes and iCloud. This means that at times there is some significant traffic between living room and office, dowloadinbg files to computer, uploading from iMac and NAS as well as movie streaming to the living room.

Initially i looked at a combination of R8000P and EX8000, I was then recommended to look for a WiFi 6 system, and found the MK62 combo.
To me it still seems that the R8000P combo is the better dure to being tri-band, but I am honestly lost right now. I also see some like RAX80 combined with EAX80 - but seriously, I could use with advice, i feel that the Netgear site is good, but in terms if matching products its not easy.

/Stefan

Message 1 of 2

Accepted Solutions
plemans
Guru

Re: Choosing a MESH system for home office and streaming

I'll start off with saying I'm a fan of the full mesh systems. They're great and can have satellites added as needed. 

With that said, I'm not a fan of the dual band mesh systems. A triband system reserves one of the 5ghz chips just for router----satellite communication. They have faster speed, lower latency, and better stability. 

so if I was looking, I'd be either looking at the Triband orbi AC systems or AX systems.

Again, the benefit is they can be hardwired or wireless for their backhaul and work seamless.

The mesh extenders are pretty decent but have some downfalls.

1. they work great with 1 extender. More than that and they can have stability issues if the extenders are in range of each other and running in mesh mode. 

2. they only work in mesh mode while functioning as a wireless extender. If you hardwire them in, they don't work in mesh mode. Taking that option off the table.

3. Standard extenders (not triband) have to send and recieve on the same chip. And they cant do both at once. Meaning it cuts their throughput in half right off the bat. 

Again if it was me? I'd be looking at the Orbi AC or AX systems that are triband. 

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 2

All Replies
plemans
Guru

Re: Choosing a MESH system for home office and streaming

I'll start off with saying I'm a fan of the full mesh systems. They're great and can have satellites added as needed. 

With that said, I'm not a fan of the dual band mesh systems. A triband system reserves one of the 5ghz chips just for router----satellite communication. They have faster speed, lower latency, and better stability. 

so if I was looking, I'd be either looking at the Triband orbi AC systems or AX systems.

Again, the benefit is they can be hardwired or wireless for their backhaul and work seamless.

The mesh extenders are pretty decent but have some downfalls.

1. they work great with 1 extender. More than that and they can have stability issues if the extenders are in range of each other and running in mesh mode. 

2. they only work in mesh mode while functioning as a wireless extender. If you hardwire them in, they don't work in mesh mode. Taking that option off the table.

3. Standard extenders (not triband) have to send and recieve on the same chip. And they cant do both at once. Meaning it cuts their throughput in half right off the bat. 

Again if it was me? I'd be looking at the Orbi AC or AX systems that are triband. 

Message 2 of 2
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7