× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Clash between two Nighthawk EX7700s on same network

Alfie123
Guide

Clash between two Nighthawk EX7700s on same network

I have just tried to add 2 EX7700s to my WiFi network. One seems fine but adding the second one seems to clash and walking around from one signal to another is certainly not seamless. The nighthawk app also shows only one extender connected at a time and you have to switch extenders to get the details. Am I missing something, or messed up the installation?

Message 1 of 4
plemans
Guru

Re: Clash between two Nighthawk EX7700s on same network

A couple things you can try. 

1. make sure they're setup like a star pattern and not daisy chain. 

star:  extender<--------router------->extender

daisy: router----->extender----->extender

You should have them on opposites sides of the router to prevent them from connecting to each other

2. they can be to close together. If the house isn't big enough to need 2 extenders, it can create just as much issues as they end up connecting to each other and not back to the router

3. did you setup using wps? Or using the installation assistant?

I usually recommend to people who're needing more othan 1 extender to move to an actual mesh system with a router that controls it. The extender based systems aren't as effective if you're needing more than 1. 

What size is your home? 

what are the interior walls made of? 

Do you have issues if only 1 is running?

Message 2 of 4
Alfie123
Guide

I set up as star structure. House is 230sq metres. I have removed one nighthawk, but I’m still getting conflicts with just one extender in operation. It is no a seamless transition between zones. Often have to turn off WiFi on the device and then reconnect. Could it be a clash between 3.5mhz on router and 5mhz on the extender? (I’m assuming the Orange router is 3.5).
Message 3 of 4
plemans
Guru

Which orange router is it? 

The extenders are reliant on the router and if its sketchy/poorly coded, its going to cause everything to suffer. 

Message 4 of 4
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7