× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Compatibility between RBR20 and RBK753S

PDXnelson
Aspirant

Compatibility between RBR20 and RBK753S

I just purchased Costco's RBK753S and was wondering if I can use my RBR 20 with this device? My home is 5000 sq. ft and I'd like to use the RBR's in 2 different rooms if possible?

Part 2 question would be if I can't, can I connect my RBR to a switch and run both units separately? I'd use the RBR20 connected to Xfinity Router to my son's playroom where his Xbox is.

Looking to do whatever works the best. I currently have the RBR20 hooked up but given the size I'm having connection issues.

Model: RBR20|Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 4

Accepted Solutions
plemans
Guru

@PDXnelson wrote:

the RBK20 series and RBK753 series aren't compatible. 

You can use the RBK20 in access point mode but it won't integrate with the 753 series. You'd want it on a different wireless channel to prevent interference.

If I put it in access point mode, do they have to be wired? Or can I keep them in wireless mode?----The primary router has to be wired in while the satellites can be wireless. 

A bit of clarification. What xfinity router are you using?  Xfinity XB6

Is it a modem/router combo device? It's a combo device - but I can put it into modem only mode if I can get a system that reaches all ends of my home.

And then the RBK753? Yes, RBK753 Connected to the XB6.

running more than 1 router in router mode on a network isn't recommended and causes a double nat. When I ran the RBK753 from XB6 and then ran it in modem only mode, it wouldn't reach the far end of my home which is why I was considering running the RBR20 out of one port and the RBK753 out of the other port.

https://kb.netgear.com/30186/What-is-Double-NAT

If you want to use the XB6 and the RBK753 AND the RBK20. Then I'd try it like thus:

XB6 in modem only mode------->RBK753 (router mode)---------RBK20 (ap mode)

Or you can go:

XB6 (modem/router mode)------>RBK753 (ap mode)------->RBK20 (ap mode)

Your issue is going to be using to many wireless channels and it can create interference. Which is why I'd eliminate the XB6. Then for the RBK753 and RBK20 make sure they're using different wireless channels. the downfall is they both use the DFS channels for the wireless backhaul. Potentially could cause some interference but all you can do is try it and see what you get. 

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 4

All Replies
plemans
Guru

You can use the RBK20 in access point mode but it won't integrate with the 753 series. You'd want it on a different wireless channel to prevent interference.

A bit of clarification. What xfinity router are you using? 

Is it a modem/router combo device? 

And then the RBK753? 

running more than 1 router in router mode on a network isn't recommended and causes a double nat.

Message 2 of 4
PDXnelson
Aspirant

If I put it in access point mode, do they have to be wired? Or can I keep them in wireless mode?

Is it a modem/router combo device? It's a combo device - but I can put it into modem only mode if I can get a system that reaches all ends of my home.

running more than 1 router in router mode on a network isn't recommended and causes a double nat. When I ran the RBK753 from XB6 and then ran it in modem only mode, it wouldn't reach the far end of my home which is why I was considering running the RBR20 out of one port and the RBK753 out of the other port.

Message 3 of 4
plemans
Guru

@PDXnelson wrote:

If I put it in access point mode, do they have to be wired? Or can I keep them in wireless mode?----The primary router has to be wired in while the satellites can be wireless. 

If you want to use the XB6 and the RBK753 AND the RBK20. Then I'd try it like thus:

XB6 in modem only mode------->RBK753 (router mode)---------RBK20 (ap mode)

Or you can go:

XB6 (modem/router mode)------>RBK753 (ap mode)------->RBK20 (ap mode)

Your issue is going to be using to many wireless channels and it can create interference. Which is why I'd eliminate the XB6. Then for the RBK753 and RBK20 make sure they're using different wireless channels. the downfall is they both use the DFS channels for the wireless backhaul. Potentially could cause some interference but all you can do is try it and see what you get. 

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7