× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Confused About WPS LED behavior

Confused About WPS LED behavior

I actually have a model EX6100v2 but that model is not listed in the drop down menu.  I've had the latest firmware installed (ver. V1.0.1.106) for awhile.  I've enjoyed nominal behavior for several years (all 4 LEDs steady green).  Yesterday, I noted that the WPS LED was off.  However, my wifi devices all show my usual 2.4 and 5 SSIDs, with locked padlocks.  I can still connect to internet on both channels with usual throughput.  I logged into the extender via the web and status shows both channels on and broadcasting with usual WPA2-PSK encryption.  My android app "Wifi Analyzer" shows all 4 wifi signals (2 originals from router and 2 transmitted from the extender) to be encyrpted WPA2-PSK.

In an attempt to restore the WPS LED, I pressed the WPS button on the extender and after about 3 seconds, the WPS LED began flashing green.  I then depressed the WPS button on my router and the Netgear extender went through it's usual sequence of various blinks and colors of both the Router Link LED and the Client Link LED and then both settled into steady green.  However, the WPS LED remained off.

I then powered down the extender, waited 30 seconds, and powered back up.  The extender seemed to go through it's normal boot with LEDs blinking, various colors, etc. and again settled down with 3 steady green LEDs but the WPS LED remained off.  Verified that both channels were being broadcast with WPA2-PSK encryption and my devices that normally connected to the extender were able to do so.  Finally, I powered down the extender, rebooted the router and after it finished rebooting, powered up the extender.  No changes.  Again re-did the WPS button press sequence and again, after all settled down, the WPS LED remains off with everything else apparently functioning normally.

I'm not even sure that the WPS LED needs to glow after establishing encrypted connections with the router because I believe there's a discrepancy in the Quick Start Manual that has me further confused.  On page 4 of the manual, the LED descriptions section for the WPS LED says that if the WPS LED is Off, "WiFi security is not enabled".  However, the instructions on page 6 for connecting via WPS say in part, "...The WPS LED on the extender lights solid green, the Router Link LED lights, and the extender connects to your existing WiFi network.  If the Router Link LED does not light, try again..." with no further mention of the WPS LED anywhere in the remainder of that section of the manual.  However, in my case, the Router Link LED is lit.

Question 1:  Is this anything to worry about given that all other signs indicate that both channels are being encrypted?  If so, why?  All other indicators (status display on extender log-in via internet, client devices showing strong signal SSIDs with padlocks when remote from router, and android wifi analyzer sniffer display) suggest that all the connections between the router and the extender and between my clients and the extender are properly encrypted.

Question 2:  What would you do next, if anything?

Model: EX6100|AC750 Dual Band WiFi Range Extender
Message 1 of 3
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Confused About WPS LED behavior

Its possible that the default behavior of the WPS LED is OFF when it's not being used. 

What does the user manual say for the EX extender? It may or may not give this info. 

If the WPS button is working and over all the extender is working, I wouldn't put too much worry in to weather the WPS button remains ON or OFF. Just so long as it works and all is working well for you. 

Message 2 of 3

Re: Confused About WPS LED behavior

Default until very recently was never "unlit".  No recent firmware update or change in settings for the extender; no change in router hardware, firmware or settings.  As far as the extender's manual, my original post discusses the only 2 places that the WPS LED is mentioned and they don't exactly agree.  I guess the one thing I haven't tried yet, but don't have any enthusiasm for is to do a factory reset on the extender.  I guess if I create a backup settings file I could "restore" my settings from that file.  What I don't know is whether the restore settings file, made with the currently installed firmware, would be compatible with the configuration of the extender after performing the reset.  If the reset configures the extender to restart using a firmware version that is at least 2 versions obsolete some of my settings would be meaningless.  For example, original firmware always used router's SSID plus "_EXT" to name the signal from the extender.  The current firmware gives the user the option to use the identical SSID as the router  (which I much prefer and have been using for months without problems).  I'll probably accept your advice and trust that all other indications I mentioned in my original post show that my wifi connections to and from the router are encrypted.  I live in a multiple dwelling high rise and literally everyone in the building uses wifi due to a bulk contract our building has with Comcast. 

Message 3 of 3
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7