× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Connect a Nighthawk EX8000 to an Orbi satellite wirelessly where the RBR20 is in access point mode.

MakiMaki
Aspirant

Connect a Nighthawk EX8000 to an Orbi satellite wirelessly where the RBR20 is in access point mode.

I have in my house a Linksys EA8300 as my main router in the living room towards the front of the house. I also have an Orbi RBR20 hard wired, as an Access Point, to the Linksys EA8300 in the middle of the house. The two RBS20 satellites cover the rest of the house with Wi-Fi towards the back of the house. I also have a Nighthawk EX8000 in the garage paired to the Linksys EA8300 in the house that is not close enough to be connected through Wi-Fi. It's waiting for me to bring in a signal close enough for it to connect to the Linksys EA8300 at the front of the house. I want to have the same Wi-Fi network running throughout my house and yard as I want my Blink cameras to be able to access the same network no matter I have them installed. I need help changing the Orbi network name to take on the network Id to my Linksys EA8300 so that my Nighthawk EX8000 can connect to the same network as the Linksys EA8300. And since the Orbi is in the middle of the two I would like the Orbi to change so that it uses the Linksys EA8300 signal throughout. Would this be possible? I'm really satisfied with the Linksys EA8300's coverage! BTW, they all have a 5g backhaul.

Message 1 of 12

Accepted Solutions
plemans
Guru

Re: Connect a Nighthawk EX8000 to an Orbi satellite wirelessly where the RBR20 is in access point mo

1. Don't put the ex8000 in the middle of the orbi. The orbi uses a dedicated backhaul that only the router/satellites connect to. Put the ex8000 after the orbi satellites as it can't connect to that dedicated backhaul.

2. you're not going to get what you want. You can set all your devices with the same ssid if you want. That isn't the issue. The issue is they aren't going to roam seamless. Your mixing devices and manufacturers. For sure, set them with the same ssid. but devices will be stick between the netgear equipment and the Linksys. If you wanted seamless roaming, go with the orbi alone and purchase extra satellites. Or make the best of what you have. Set the linksys up as primary with its own ssid/password. Then use the orbi in ap mode with the ex8000 connected to it. Those devices that travel around, have connected to the orbi/ex8000. The stationary ones, have on the linksys. 

View solution in original post

Message 10 of 12

All Replies
plemans
Guru

Re: Connect a Nighthawk EX8000 to an Orbi satellite wirelessly where the RBR20 is in access point mo

You could just connect the EX8000 to the orbi's setup as is. Just setup the EX8000 using the installation assistant and connect it to the orbi's network. It'll connect and should work fine. (I've connected a EX8000 to my old RBK53 setup)

I wouldn't change the orbi's ssid to match the linksys setup. Reason why is it'll use the same ssid but the smart roaming functions won't work between the 2x systems as they won't integrate. So devices will tend to be "sticky" and not want to roam from linksys to orbi and vice versa. 

Message 2 of 12
CrimpOn
Guru

@MakiMaki wrote:

I want to have the same Wi-Fi network running throughout my house and yard as I want my Blink cameras to be able to access the same network no matter I have them installed.

Same network is the key requirement, not same "name".  The Linksys router is assigning IP addresses to every device that connects to the network, whether over WiFi or by Ethernet cable.  They are all in one network.  It is sometimes convenient to have some of the WiFi access points broadcast different WiFi SSIDs ("names")  For example, if the EX8000 broadcasts the WiFi name "Garage", then devices set up to use that name will never be tempted to connect to the Linksys WiFi or to the Orbi WiFi.  But they will still get an IP address from the Linksys and will be in the same IP subnet as every other device in the house.

(This is a one of the solutions for the awkward situation where a 2.4G WiFi device will not connect unless the smartphone app is connected at 2.4G.  Create a new network broadcasting only 2.4G. Connect both the phone and device to it.  After the device is working correctly, turn on the 5G WiFi from that access point.)

Message 3 of 12
MakiMaki
Aspirant

United States
中国 (汉语)
España (Español)
France (Français)
Italia (Italiano)
日本 (日本語)
Netherlands (Dutch)
Sweden (Svenska)
United States (English)
SEARCH

Re: Connect a Nighthawk EX8000 to an Orbi satellit...
MakiMaki
Reply To Message

Browse files to attach
Maximum size: 5 MB •
Maximum attachments allowed: 1

Associated Products

Email me when someone replies
View discussion in a popup

REPLYING TO:
plemans
Guru plemans Guru Guru
‎2022-11-09 05:40 AM
Re: Connect ...
"I wouldn't change the orbi's ssid to match the linksys setup. Reason why is it'll use the same ssid but the smart roaming functions won't work between the 2x systems as they won't integrate. So devices will tend to be "sticky" and not want to roam from linksys to orbi and vice versa. "

~ This is exactly what I currently have; my Orbi broadcasting as an Orbi with its separate login and password information, where roaming between my Linksys EA8300 and my Orbi is not seamless. Not good. Remember, my Nighthawk EX8000 in the garage is not paired with my Orbi but is paired with my Linksys, but is too far for them to connect. My goal is for there to be seamless roaming and for my Blink cameras to have access to the same "network" for it to be able to work properly.
Message 4 of 12
CrimpOn
Guru

@MakiMaki wrote:
Remember, my Nighthawk EX8000 in the garage is not paired with my Orbi but is paired with my Linksys, but is too far for them to connect. My goal is for there to be seamless roaming and for my Blink cameras to have access to the same "network" for it to be able to work properly.

So, the EX8000 does not function because it cannot connect to the Linksys.  Can it connect to an Orbi unit?

Both goals cannot be achieved with this configuration.

Only a single mesh system will roam seamlessly.  This  configuration contains three separate WiFi networks (Linksys, Orbi, EX8000). Devices connected to any of them will be in the same IP address subnet and can communicate with each other.  However, the IEEE mechanism for Fast Roaming (802.11r https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IEEE_802.11r-2008 ) will only pertain to the Orbi system.  When devices move too far away from one of these WiFi systems to get a "good enough" connection, they will eventually drop that system and look for another one.  This will not be as seamless as it would be if there were only one system.

No matter how many WiFi systems there are, the Blink cameras should be in the single IP LAN and be able to communicate correctly.  Since cameras do not physically move, the roaming issue will not affect them.

Message 5 of 12
MakiMaki
Aspirant

I've never tried to connect my extender to the Nighthawk EX8000. I'll give that a try tomorrow evening.

Would a possible solution be that I setup my Orbi first and that both my Nighthawk EX8000 extender and my Linksys EA8300 router be connected to the Orbi? If so, how would I setup the Linksys EA8300? Could the Linksys be setup as an extender for it to be part of the Orbi system and have me be able connect to the Orbi "network" seamlessly?

If not, given what I currently have, or could buy, what would be your recommendation so that the ten Blink cameras all reach and connect to the same "network" from my front yard to the very back of my property, behind my garage?

Message 6 of 12
plemans
Guru

I don't think that your grasping that these aren't all going to "integrate" into one single ssid solution. Your mixing different manufacturer's and technologies.  You can force it to all have the same ssid but devices won't roam properly. 

If you set it up going linksys---->orbi (in AP mode)---->EX8000   They don't need to have the same ssid (the orbi/ex8000 can) but will still be on the same network and will be able to talk to each other. 

Message 7 of 12
CrimpOn
Guru

I have no personal experience with Blink cameras, but have a vague memory of reading about them requiring a "Hub". (Is that no longer the case?)  If so, it is the Hub that needs connection to the home WiFi network, not the individual cameras.  To cover a wide area with many cameras, there may be a need for more than one Hub.

This might be a topic to bring up in a user forum for Blink cameras?

Message 8 of 12
MakiMaki
Aspirant

I get that this setup is not pretty, but I'm trying to use what I have and make the most of it. If I use the Orbi RBR20 router and match the Nighthawk EX8000 to the Orbi system, could I set it up where the EX8000 is in between two of the satellites and the EA8300 in AP mode?

Orbi RBR20 ---> Orbi RBS20 ---> Nighthawk EX8000 ---> Orbi RBS20 ---> Linksys EA8300 (in AP mode)

Would the Nighthawk in this scenario be able to switch seamlessly?

Would this give me the ability to have them all have the same SSID?

Would it be possible to fit the Linksys where the Nighthawk is in this configuration and have it connect seamlessly?

I know that going straight with all Orbis would essentially make my problem go away, but I'd like to understand if there exists a "best setup" using the equipment I have.

Message 9 of 12
plemans
Guru

1. Don't put the ex8000 in the middle of the orbi. The orbi uses a dedicated backhaul that only the router/satellites connect to. Put the ex8000 after the orbi satellites as it can't connect to that dedicated backhaul.

2. you're not going to get what you want. You can set all your devices with the same ssid if you want. That isn't the issue. The issue is they aren't going to roam seamless. Your mixing devices and manufacturers. For sure, set them with the same ssid. but devices will be stick between the netgear equipment and the Linksys. If you wanted seamless roaming, go with the orbi alone and purchase extra satellites. Or make the best of what you have. Set the linksys up as primary with its own ssid/password. Then use the orbi in ap mode with the ex8000 connected to it. Those devices that travel around, have connected to the orbi/ex8000. The stationary ones, have on the linksys. 

Message 10 of 12
MakiMaki
Aspirant

Thanks for all of replies. Your vast experience is appreciated. That sounds like I can make work. That would allow me to pair the Blink hub to the Orbi since it will have the most extensive coverage. I'll 🤔 try pairing the EX8000 to the Orbi like you said.

What I don't think I know how to do is assign the immovable WiFi devices to the Linksys EA8300 router. Can I get some help assigning devices?
Message 11 of 12
plemans
Guru

Just set the linksys with its own ssid. Then you know when you're connecting to it. 

Message 12 of 12
Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7