× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Connect a wired slave router to a Wifi Range Extender EX6200-100PAS?

Maktab
Follower

Connect a wired slave router to a Wifi Range Extender EX6200-100PAS?

Hello Everybody,

I bought last weekend from Bestbuy a Nighthawk X6 Ac3200 router, after the installation I realized that it didn’t make much difference

I went back to the store this weekend they’d suggested to me to go get a Wifi Range Extender, which I did, I bought EX6200 - AC1200

The installation was easy as I just need to push the WPS button, and everything configured it self

Now the situation is good with the connection and the stench of the Wifi Range

But because the place of the extender is little far and I need to use a LAN port to connect a my box TV and my receiver, I’m trying to connect the Extender to my router “my old one” but unfortunately, it is not working

The connection itself is ok because when I plugged it to my computer it is working

So my question is about to know if there is a possibility to connect one the LAN port (EX6200) to my old router,

than I can use the LAN port of the router to connect my wired stuff (I would like to keep the old router without Wifi as I use the Extender)

I did some research thru Google without success until now (repeater or hub)

Thank you in advance

Message 1 of 2
TheEther
Guru

Re: Connect a wired slave router to a Wifi Range Extender EX6200-100PAS?

You should be able to enable AP Mode on the Nighthawk router.  Then connect its WAN port to a LAN port on the EX6200.

Instead of using AP Mode, another method is to disable the DHCP server on the Nighthawk.  You will have to configure a static IP address on the Nighthawk's LAN Setup.  Also, make sure that your main router avoids assigning this IP address to another device.  Then connect a Nighthawk LAN (important!) port to a EX6200 LAN port.  Leave the Nighthawk WAN port disconnected.  This leaves you with one less LAN port.  Why do this?  I have read that the maximum speed achievable with AP Mode is slower than this method.  The difference may only be noticeable at speeds over 400 Mbps, so if the extender is the bottleneck, it may be better to stick with AP Mode.

Go with whatever method you are comfortable with.

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7