× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Connect an AT&T Motorola NVG589 to my NETGEAR N600 model WNDR3400v2

ptgilly
Aspirant

Connect an AT&T Motorola NVG589 to my NETGEAR N600 model WNDR3400v2

Hello I’m a bit of a novice so any help would be appreciated... I’m attempting to connect an AT&T Motorola NVG589 to my NETGEAR N600 model WNDR3400v2. The goal would be to utilize four additional ports on the N600 and wireless capabilities with the NVG589 being the internet gateway.

The challenge is connecting several non-wireless devices (computer, printers and so on…) in another area of the house without having the cat5 wires in the open areas.
I’ve run cat5 through the attic to the room where I’d like to place the N600. I’ve been successful in connecting a single device and accessing the internet. However I’m struggling when it comes to connecting the N600 to the NVG586.

Any guidance on the process / steps to getting the Motorola NVG589 (as the internet gateway) to work with the N600 would be greatly appreciated. If possible I’d like to have the wireless working on the N600 as well.

Thanks for your support.
Message 1 of 4
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

If you use AP mode feature in the router then you use Internet port of 3400 to existing lan ports

http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/23784
http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/20927
Message 2 of 4
ptgilly
Aspirant

Thx this worked well for nearly all my devices (PC, Smartphones, Brother Printer, Tablet) except an older printer.

That device is an HP 7300xi network printer. For some reason the HP install software will no longer find the printer. I've tried connecting it to both the Motorola and Netgear units. Is suspect there is an issue with the HP install software.

Not sure how to assign a dedicated IP address so I may just connect it via one of the computers via the USB and then share the printer vi my home group.

Thanks aging for the help...
Message 3 of 4
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

You are welcome...:)
Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation