× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Connect to LAN network

seimafl
Aspirant

Connect to LAN network

I have a AC1200 model EX6120 which I have used for some time without any problems. Now I have moved it to another house and another router. It has started two new networks with 2.4 and 5 GHz which I can see listed in my smartphone. When I try to connect to them I get an error message saying that it was not possible to connect to the network for both networks. I have used tried with my laptop but with the same result. I am quite certain that I have input the correct password. What shall I do?

Model: EX6110|AC1200 Dual Band WiFi Range Extender
Message 1 of 8
plemans
Guru

Re: Connect to LAN network

If you've moved it to a new router, did you factory reset the extender and go back through the setup process?

are you trying to setup via wps or using the smart connect wizard?

What firmware is on the extender?

What router are you trying to connect it to? 

the ex6120 has an ethernet port on it that you can use to hardwire in for setup. Tends to make the process go faster and smoother. 

the support site has setup videos, written guides, manuals, and firmware. 

https://www.netgear.com/support/product/EX6120.aspx

Message 2 of 8
seimafl
Aspirant

Hello,

Yes, I have factory reset the extender.

I have used WPS to connect it with the router. This has worked because I can see the networks that are created by the extender on my phone. It is the next step that is not working, i.e. when I log on the network.

I don't know what firmware that is on the extender. How can I find out?

The router is a Technicolor TG799vac Xtream. 

Message 3 of 8
plemans
Guru

@seimafl wrote:

Hello,

Yes, I have factory reset the extender.

I have used WPS to connect it with the router. This has worked because I can see the networks that are created by the extender on my phone. It is the next step that is not working, i.e. when I log on the network.

I don't know what firmware that is on the extender. How can I find out?

The router is a Technicolor TG799vac Xtream. 

Which part of the step. I can't see whats going on. Are you able to connect but get "no internet avaiable", is it saying your password is wrong, is it connecting but working slowly, etc.  Describe exactly whats going on because I'm not there. 

to find out firmware on the extender you have to log into it. its on the status page.

You can try setting up the extender with the smart connection wizard. usually when there's issues with setup using wps (not all manufacturers code the same), use t he smart connection wizard. 

Message 4 of 8
seimafl
Aspirant

Obviously I have not been clear enough. My native tongue is not English, but I will try to explain again what is happening.

I put the extender device in an electrical outlet. Then a pressed the WPS button on it and then on the router. They got connected allright, two new wifi networks were started with different frequencies with names that are the same as the original ones with a suffix as described in the installation guide. So far so good. 

Then I wanted to log on to one of the networks started by the extender device using my smartphone. I selected the network from the list displayed on the phone. It asked for the password which I then input. The phone said "connecting ..." for some time and then there was a message displayed in Swedish. If I translate it to English it said something like "It was not possible to connect to the network". No reason at all was displayed. 

I tried also with my computer with exactly the same result.

I am absolutely certain that I have input the correct password and I have made several attempts. All with the same result.

Message 5 of 8
plemans
Guru

do you have your regions set properly for both devices?

Also, have you tried using the smart connect wizard instead of wps? maybe wps can't/isn't working properly. Also sometimes special characters can cause issues.

So try setting it up via the smart connection wizard. make sure your primary router password doesn't have any special characters in either either.

And check to make sure the region settings are the same for both devices. 

Message 6 of 8
seimafl
Aspirant

Hello.

I am sorry it has taken so long for me to come back, but I have been very busy with other things with higher priority.

I think this issue is getting too technical for me. I think I have described what is happening clearly already. 

I have used the device before without any problems, admittedly with another router, but the current router works perfectly in all other contexts. Its password contains nothing but English capital letters and digits. I get no error messages other than that it is impossible to connect to the extended network.

I hope you have an explanation and solution to the problem or else I will put the device in the bin and buy another one.

Message 7 of 8
plemans
Guru

Try this. 

1. Factory reset both the router and extender. Maybe something is causing issues in the router for the extender not to connect

2 .re-setup the router. 

3. resetup the extender. first try the wps method. Then try the smart connect wizard if wps doesn't work. 

The router is the backbone of the setup. Its easy to blame the extender but everything its doing, is coming from the router. 

Message 8 of 8
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7