× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Connected, No Internet - WiFi Range Extender WN3000RP

bt23
Tutor

Connected, No Internet - WiFi Range Extender WN3000RP

Hi, 

I am trying to access the internet via various devices connected to a WiFi range extender (WN3000RP), so far without success. Steps taken so far:

1. connected WiFi range extender to router via WPS button

2. connected a PC to the WiFi range extender via Ethernet Cable (yes, this will access the internet)

3. updated Firmware to latest: V1.0.2.64_1.1.86

4. connected phone, laptops, tablet to the WiFi range extender but receive the message "Obtaining IP address..." eventually followed by "No internet access" or "Connected, no internet".

I've also tried a factor reset on the WiFi range extender.

I have access to the router and the WiFi range extender control panels. 

There seem lots of settings on both control panels! What settings can I try changing to resolve this extremely frustrating problem?

On the WiFi range extender DHCP is ON. Should I set a static IP address instead?

On my router I have both 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz options but "Synchronise 2.4GHz and 5GHz Settings" is checked so that they don't appear separately. Should I uncheck this option and re-connect my WiFi range extender?

Any help would be gratefully appreciated.

Thank you

Model: WN3000RP|Universal WiFi Range Extender
Message 1 of 8

Accepted Solutions
bt23
Tutor

Re: Connected, No Internet - WiFi Range Extender WN3000RP

Fixed!

1. I did a factory reset

2. Instead of Option 1 in the manual (Connecting with WPS), I did Option 2 (Connecting with web browser setup guide) detailed below:

2a. following the steps, I first connected to NETGEAR_EXT in my network manager.

2b. I opened a web browser on the same PC but the onscreen setup guide did not automatically appear. So I found my range extender's IP address, which I did by connecting to my router and looking at the connected/attached devices (device name = WN3000RP).

2c. I then typed the IP address into the browser on my PC, the onscreen setup guide appeared

2d. I entered the username and password

2e. I selected my router from the options available and entered the password/passphrase for the router.

2f. I changed the suffix of my range extender to _EXTENDER instead of _EXT (I don't know if this is important but I thought it was best to have a completely new name so that my other devices would have a new WiFi Network to connect to, and prompt me to enter a new password)

3. I connected my PC to the renamed range extender.

4. I connected my other devices to the renamed range extender.

They all work! No more "Obtaining IP address" or "Connected, no internet"!

Maybe it's important to note that before doing any of the above, I had previously updated the firmware on the range extender. The factory reset did not undo this change, the firmware remained up-to-date. 

To update the firmware was relatively simple: again it was a question of connecting to the range extender via a browser and I did this by getting the IP address from the list of connected/attached devices on my router. The URL given in the NetGear documentation (www[dot]mywifiext[dot]net) did not work.

Why this method worked when the previous WPS button connection method had not, I have not idea! But thankfully now I don't have to concern myself with this and I get on with my life again 😄

Thank you for pointing me in the right direction @plemans 

View solution in original post

Message 6 of 8

All Replies
plemans
Guru

Have you tried installing the extender using the installation assistant and not wps? 

Also, what router are you connecting to? 

https://www.netgear.com/support/product/WN3000RP.aspx

Message 2 of 8
bt23
Tutor

Thank you for the quick reply.

I'm connected to a Sky Hub router. Model ER115. Firmware Version 2.20.2746.R

No, I haven't tried using the installation assistant. I'm not familiar with that option, I will look it up and give it try.

Thank you

Message 3 of 8
bt23
Tutor

Sorry @plemans I'm confused: to instal the extender using the installation assistant, should I first do a factory reset? 

Is that the best way to unconnect it from the WPS set-up thatI've already done?

Thank you

Message 4 of 8
plemans
Guru

Factory reset first. 

push and hold reset for 7-15 seconds while its powered on. 

That'll get you back to factory. 

Then install it using the assistant. 

Message 5 of 8
bt23
Tutor

Fixed!

1. I did a factory reset

2. Instead of Option 1 in the manual (Connecting with WPS), I did Option 2 (Connecting with web browser setup guide) detailed below:

2a. following the steps, I first connected to NETGEAR_EXT in my network manager.

2b. I opened a web browser on the same PC but the onscreen setup guide did not automatically appear. So I found my range extender's IP address, which I did by connecting to my router and looking at the connected/attached devices (device name = WN3000RP).

2c. I then typed the IP address into the browser on my PC, the onscreen setup guide appeared

2d. I entered the username and password

2e. I selected my router from the options available and entered the password/passphrase for the router.

2f. I changed the suffix of my range extender to _EXTENDER instead of _EXT (I don't know if this is important but I thought it was best to have a completely new name so that my other devices would have a new WiFi Network to connect to, and prompt me to enter a new password)

3. I connected my PC to the renamed range extender.

4. I connected my other devices to the renamed range extender.

They all work! No more "Obtaining IP address" or "Connected, no internet"!

Maybe it's important to note that before doing any of the above, I had previously updated the firmware on the range extender. The factory reset did not undo this change, the firmware remained up-to-date. 

To update the firmware was relatively simple: again it was a question of connecting to the range extender via a browser and I did this by getting the IP address from the list of connected/attached devices on my router. The URL given in the NetGear documentation (www[dot]mywifiext[dot]net) did not work.

Why this method worked when the previous WPS button connection method had not, I have not idea! But thankfully now I don't have to concern myself with this and I get on with my life again 😄

Thank you for pointing me in the right direction @plemans 

Message 6 of 8
plemans
Guru

Glad to hear you got it working!

Reason why wps doesn't always work is that device makers can code wps differently and it causes issues. that's why the assistant is there 🙂 

Message 7 of 8
bt23
Tutor

Interesting, thank you 🙂

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements