× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Connected to Extender, but no Internet

Connected to Extender, but no Internet

I can connect my laptop and some other devices but smartphones are connecting but no internet. this only happens on the smartphones. Sometimes it happens on the laptops, but a quick reset and everything is good.  I am writing this on my laptop that is connected and has internet, but my phone will connect but not get internet. Is this a common problem with the extenders? And not be rude, but getting ahold of support online or on phone is literally the single greatest act of futility I have ever attempted to accomplish.

Model: C7000|Nighthawk - AC1900 WiFi Cable Modem Router
Message 1 of 16
StephenB
Guru

It shouldn't be happening.  What model extender do you own?  Are the status indicators showing a good connection to the router?

Message 2 of 16

Yes, I have a good connection, my laptop has no issues, the only issues I have are older laptops and especially with the distance of my building, I know those issues are going to happen.  What is strange is that it is only on the mobile devices, almost like there wasn't a needed update or something for the DHCP.  It's almost like its only getting a link-local addressing assignment for the mobile devices.  I have run the firmware updater and it says it's up to date, both the extender and the mobile device. By the way, the extender is a nighthawk ac1900 ex7000, wifi extender.

Message 3 of 16
StephenB
Guru

The extender has a client-facing radio (that your device connects to) and a backhaul radio (that connects the extender to your router).

To reach the internet, both of those hops have to be solid connections.  I was asking specifically about the extender to router hop.

But I think you are saying that your laptops are reaching the internet through the extender, but the mobile devices aren't always doing that.  Is that correct?

Message 4 of 16

That is correct, laptop connects just fine with internet. Smart phone connects to extender, but not internet.
Message 5 of 16
StephenB
Guru

@TexasCodeViking wrote:
That is correct, laptop connects just fine with internet. Smart phone connects to extender, but not internet.

That is very strange.  Can you see the Wifi channels they are using?  I'm wondering if they are connecting with different radios on the extender.  You can see the details of the connection in PCs and mobile devices, though the mechanics of that are different on different platforms.

Are you using the "one WiFi name" feature of the EX7000?

Message 6 of 16

I set the network up back in July, it does use a variant of the original names,(postNET_2GEXT, guestNEt_5GEXT), uses the same passwords,  I can connect directly to the router no problem, but when I get on the extender, its like it's giving my smartphone and most other smartphones a local-only ip.  It has connected before and had internet, but about 2 weeks ago it stopped allowing the smart devices access, most of the time.

Message 7 of 16
StephenB
Guru

@TexasCodeViking wrote:

I set the network up back in July, it does use a variant of the original names,(postNET_2GEXT, guestNEt_5GEXT), 

Ok, that means the "one WiFi Name" feature isn't being used.

@TexasCodeViking wrote:

but when I get on the extender, its like it's giving my smartphone and most other smartphones a local-only ip. 

The extender shouldn't be handing out IP addresses unless it's connection to the router has failed.  That doesn't seem to be happening, since you are only seeing this problem with a SmartPhone, not with a PC.

• Are you ever seeing this behavior when connecting a PC to the same network?
  • Does this happen only with the _2GEXT network, or the _5GEXT network, or both?
  • Are the phones involved Android or iPhone?  If there's a mix, do the two types of phones behave differently?

The C7000 in your first post is your current router?

Message 8 of 16

A mix of Android and iPhone, but my Samsung tabE is doing the same as well. No, the router is the Ubee from spectrum.  I put that there because they don't have my product in the drop-down menu. Shouldn't be and doing may be two wildly different things. it connected to the router earlier today, but when it connects to the extender it doesn't connect to the internet.

Message 9 of 16
StephenB
Guru

@TexasCodeViking wrote:

I put that there because they don't have my product in the drop-down menu.

Don't do that here, instead put your product information in the post.

@TexasCodeViking wrote:

Shouldn't be and doing may be two wildly different things. it connected to the router earlier today, but when it connects to the extender it doesn't connect to the internet.

I believe you, I am just trying to figure out a failure that would target just the mobile devices and not the PCs.

That's why I'm trying to be clear about whether if this affects only one of the extender networks (or both), and also to confirm that you've never seen it on the PCs.

The smartphone behavior is erratic, correct?  Sometimes it works, sometimes it fails?  The next time it fails, can you try a connection to the same network from a PC, and confirm that it works (and the phone fails)?

Message 10 of 16

Ok

I apologize if I seem frustrated, but I have been having problems with this network since I set it up, and this is not for my home its for American Legion Post 223, I have been helping them modernize a little, and this extender has been a nightmare, not because its bad but because there is always some issue. I'm not an IT pro, but I have never had this much of a headache with one piece of equipment.  It doesn't help either when I can't get the manufacturer tech support, because the menus don't carry my actual product, and it is set up in such a way that makes it impossible to get a hold of someone with the company. I know you're trying to help and I appreciate it, I just wish Netgear's tech support was worth a damn. I have tried every combination of turning things off and back on and resetting, it still won't let phones and tablets connect to the internet.  

Model: EX7000|AC1900 WiFi Range Extender
Message 11 of 16
StephenB
Guru

@TexasCodeViking wrote:

I apologize if I seem frustrated, but I have been having problems with this network since I set it up, 

I do get it, and am wishing I had more useful advice.

I am wondering if IPv6 is enabled in the main router.  If it is enabled, perhaps try disabling it.

Is it practical to run ethernet between the router and the extender?  If it were (even temporarily) you could rule out the router<->extender connection.  You'd also have more radio capacity, so you could handle more connections.

Message 12 of 16

The smart devices actually got back on, one thing I hadn't tried in a while is the hard reset, I was mostly using the soft reset option on the mywifiext.net.  I am starting to wonder if maybe it would be a better option to get several of the outlet based smaller units and run them as wired access points to really step out the range of the network instead of trying to use the one wifi extender.  I am thinking this may be the better option due to the size of the area I am trying to cover. The post is divided into three parts, a canteen, a cafe, and post home.  The canteen and post home are each about the size of a triple wide mobile home, the cafe is about the size of a double-wide, all three of which are probably about one and a half long. , considering this amount of space to cover and would like to get some reach outside as well, maybe going to several hardwired wireless access points to make the reach.  We also are slowly adding many devices that require either or wireless or wired.  maybe going to a more central start point and expanding out with several of the hardwired WAP's would be the best option.

Message 13 of 16
StephenB
Guru

Orbi Pro might also be worth a look.  You could add satellites over time, and they can be wall mounted.  They need power of course, but not ethernet.  It also lets you set client  bandwidth limits.

A home Orbi system would also work - it would let you use outlet-based satellites. You can't use Orbi Pro satellites with an Orbi router (or vice versa).

Orbi and Orbi Pro satellites also can connected over ethernet to the router (basically functioning as an AP).  That's all configured automatically.

If you go with wired APs, then I suggest getting a PoE switch - so you can just run ethernet, and not power.

Message 14 of 16

My only concern is getting it far enough out as there are large expanses and the rooms are built on the outer walls except the dividing walls. My other big concern is from some of the research I've done I have read about alot of issues with the mesh type set ups that it slows down due to the traffic flow over wireless. That's why I'm thinking maybe the wired set up would be better, and if set up correctly could even use the same SSID. My plan I'm running through my head would be one line coming off the router to a wired hub then run cables to the edge of the routers WiFi, then start plugging in the AP's so as to reach the needed areas without incident. This would also open up the ability to move some exterior integration and expand our Network to allow for more cameras on our security system. Maybe I haven't done enough research on the orbi. Am I way off base on this?
Message 15 of 16
StephenB
Guru

@TexasCodeViking wrote:
 My plan I'm running through my head would be one line coming off the router to a wired hub then run cables to the edge of the routers WiFi, 

It would be switch, not a hub.  If you end up with wired APs, then consider a PoE switch (and use APs that can be powered over ethernet).

@TexasCodeViking wrote:
My only concern is getting it far enough out as there are large expanses and the rooms are built on the outer walls except the dividing walls. My other big concern is from some of the research I've done I have read about alot of issues with the mesh type set ups that it slows down due to the traffic flow over wireless. ...  Maybe I haven't done enough research on the orbi. Am I way off base on this?

First of all, wired backhaul will outperform wireless backhaul.  WiFi backhaul is half-duplex, and all the satellites are sharing the same spectrum.  Gigabit is full duplex, and there is no interference and shouldn't be packet loss.

Orbi supports both wired and wireless backhaul.  So your switch idea could be used with some satellites, but you could deploy others in places where it might be hard to run cables.  There's also an outdoor satellite (no ethernet there for security reasons) that could be of interest.  Netgear doesn't have an outdoor extender (hopefully something they will add to the product line).

Anyway, it would be one way you can phase in wired backhaul over time (and leave some links wifi) without replacing equipment.  With APs you'd need to be wired from the outset.

Orbi satellites don't use PoE though, so you'd need to get power to all the satellites (in addition to ethernet if you use wired backhaul).

BTW, if you do end up with a dense deployment of APs (or lots of Orbi satellites), you likely will need to turn down the radio transmit power.  Otherwise, APs will interfere with each other.

Message 16 of 16
Discussion stats
  • 15 replies
  • 5 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7