× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Connecting 2 WIFI Extenders

voxokumi
Follower

Connecting 2 WIFI Extenders

We have 2 wifi extenders.  An EX3700 and an EX2700.  The EX2700 was connected to a wifi (Verizon Fios) in another state.  We moved to Spectrum and "obviously" disconnected the old Internet system.  We moved into a much larger home in which the security system already has a WIFI extender (EX3700) that is connected to Spectrum Internet and the 2GEXT wifi file extension.  But since the house is so large one room doesnt receive the internet signal well, so Im trying to reconfigure the old extender (EX2700) to the new router and place it close to that area.  I have done the following items:

- plugged extender into port and tried to connect via WPS key.

- plugged extender directly into router to connect via Ethernet cord

- hard reset of the ex2700

None of the above steps works.  Even when I try to connect via the web address it doesnt let me create a new username or passcode.  

What else can I do to connect a 2nd WIFI extender?  

Message 1 of 2
plemans
Guru

Re: Connecting 2 WIFI Extenders

The EX2700 doesn't support a direct connection to a router. It doesn't have an access point mode.

I'd start by factory resetting the ex2700. Push and hold reset for 7-15 seconds while its powered on. 

Then use the installation assistant to try setting it up. 

I'd advise against daisy chaining single/dual band extenders like the ex2700/3700. Extenders by their very nature decrease throughput (speed) 50% of what they receive from the router. This happens because they have to go router---extender and then extender----device. And the same chip has to do both but can't do them at the same time. So it cuts speeds in half.  And distance/obstruction/interference reduces that speeds. So if you've got 1 extenders, you're running at best 50% of what the router is putting out. Plus you've got increased latency. Add a 2nd extender in the line (daisy chain) and you're at best speed is 25% of what the router is connecting with. But it never connects at full speeds because of the distance/obstruction/interference issue. And again, increased latency because of another hop. 

So try not to daisy chain. Try for a star configuration if you have to use more than 1 extender.

Examples:

Daisy chain:  router----->extender------>extender

Star: Extender<--------router------->extender

If you have to daisy chain and you need more than 1 extender, I'd recommend moving to a triband mesh system. They have a dedicated backhaul to prevent the speed/latency issue that standard single/dual band extenders suffer from. 

Message 2 of 2
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7