× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Connecting a Nighthawk X4S WiFi Range Extender Wall-Plug to an Nighthawk AC2200 WiFi Access Poin

hankdogg
Aspirant

Connecting a Nighthawk X4S WiFi Range Extender Wall-Plug to an Nighthawk AC2200 WiFi Access Point

I have two Nighthawk X4 (AC2200 - model EX7300) WiFi Extenders at various locations in my house. Each one is set up as an access point vs. as an extender and each one is connected via ethernet cable to a Nighthawk X6 (AC3200) router. All items have updated firmware and are working just fine, each having their own SSID.

My situation is this: I want to add a range extender in my backyard gazebo so I have better reception for streaming video to devices out there (the gazebo has a power outlet which is +/- 50' away from the nearest access point).

My question is: Can I connect a wall plug extender like the Nighthawk X4S in the gazebo, or maybe even another X4 (AC2200), and get it to link up wirelessly with the nearest X4 (AC2200) access point?

Model: EX7300|AC2200 Nighthawk X4 WiFi Mesh Extender, EX7500|AC2200 Nighthawk X4S Tri Band WiFi Mesh Extender
Message 1 of 2
plemans
Guru

Re: Connecting a Nighthawk X4S WiFi Range Extender Wall-Plug to an Nighthawk AC2200 WiFi Access Poin

Maybe?

Reason I say maybe because it isn't "can I connect it" its "will the signal reach far enough to connect"?

You can connect an extender to an extender. You'll even get decent performance because the primary extender is hardwired in and running in extender mode. 

It'll be more about will the signal from the primary have a good enough connection to the other extender. The one in extender mode still needs a good signal to function off and exterior walls tend to be pretty good at blocking wifi. 

Your best way to check? Go stand where you plan on putting the extender and get your phone out. Connect to that AP and do a few speed tests. That should tell you how good the signal is. If the signal is poor and you have poor speeds, putting an extender there isn't going to be much benefit as it'll have poor signal/performance. 

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7