× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Connecting two WN2500RP

tagluca
Follower

Connecting two WN2500RP

First of all sorry for my english.

Let me first explain my situation, i have a three level house with the following configuration (I don't have the possibility to cable or use the electrical line, so I need to use the wifi):

Main floor:

The range extender connect to the router wifi with the following result:
    2GHz: Signal level: about 10/20% (yellow/red alternate light): transfer-rate: 8/13Mbps
    (In winter the signal decrease to obtain a satble red light on the extender, I didn't check the level and the transfer rate however the connection to internet works, onli a couple of days I had a loss of connection and for only 1 minute maximum)

All working fine, I know is not the best situation but for my need it works (the purpose of the second extender is to bring the internet connection to the satellite decoder so i can use an internet service of Italian satellite provider Sky that allow to download on their decoder the film on their internet catalogue).

Recently I bought a new router (Netgear D6300), and I have used the same parameters of the old router (IP,SSID etc..)
    unfortunately with this router the coverage is changed: usually is 5/10% less than the signal of the old ruoter because I try to configure one range extender and see what signal i receive from the two routers (obiovsly I changed the SSID of the old router).

in the wifi setup of the new router I choose the following transfer rate option: 1300Mbps on 5Ghz and 300 Mbps on 2Ghz

1st floor:
    2GHz: Signal level: variable between 20/45% (green/yellow light); transfer-rate: 80/140 Mbps
    5Ghz: Signal level: 30/40% (yellow light); transfer-rate: 28/54 Mbps

2nd floor:
    2GHz: Signal level: about 10/15% (red light) and sometimes none signal; transfer-rate: 8/13 Mbps

The problem as You can see is at the second floor, (I'm also worried that in winter the sitation may be worst, that can be result in a total lack of signal)

I want to know if is it possible to connect the second extender to the first (using Tagluca_2GHz_ext1 and/or Tagluca_5GHz_ext2).
    I've tried but when I connect all, I didn't have the internet network neither on the 1st and the 2nd Extender (if I turn off the second extender, the internet connection return to work on the wifi of the 1st extender).
    Could it be that there was some interference problems between the two extender in this configuration?
    There is some particular configuration to be done?
    I also know that this is not a better solution because i cut-off the bandwith but at least I have a stable signal.

In alternative if I use a wireless adapter (for example WNCE3001) at the second floor that catch the signal of the 1st extender could be a working solution? Is it sure that I can have the internet connection to the decoder or I can have some interference problems?
    In this case I want to be sure because I won't spend extra money and have a solution that not work.

As mentioned earlier I can't use the power line because the house has three separate lines and the router is connected to the adsl to an old line that was used in our old office before and it is independent from the telephon line of the house (so I can't put the router on the first floor and the extender on the main floor).

At last one stupid question, on the WN2500RP the light of the wireless connection regards the level of the signal or the rapport between the Maximum link rate and the link rate (example maximun link rate of the router 1300 Mbps, link rate. 54Mbps => Red light). I ask this because if I link from the second exthender to the D6300 with a signal about 16% I have red light while Iif I connect from the same extender to the old DGND3300 with signal 16% I have yellow light.

Thanks in advance
Message 1 of 3
dumpstar
Novice

Re: Connecting two WN2500RP

I would like to know the answer to this too!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Message 2 of 3
ChristianS
Tutor

Re: Connecting two WN2500RP

Just a suggestion.

Have You checked that the 2 Range Extenders does not choose the same SSID? This will Ruin Your WIFI for sure

Example Your Main Router SSID is "NETGEAR".

Both Range extenders will by default choose NETGEAR_EXT as their SSID.

Change the SSID of one of the extenders to say NETGEAR_EXT2

This may help You.

Best of luck to You my Friend.

ChristianS
Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7