× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Consistent Problems with RAX80 and EX8000 Access Points

wrguinn
Initiate

Consistent Problems with RAX80 and EX8000 Access Points

Basic background:

• Have colonial-era home that is large, spread out, and filled with old, solid materials that made prior mesh solutions (and whatever the 'mesh' associated with the EX8000 is supposed to be) unworkable.
  • Decided to hardwire two EX8000s to the RAX80 in Smart Connect mode with single SSID. 
  • All 2ghz and 5ghz radios on each device have been set to different channels. 
  • All firmware is up-to-date

The problem(s): 

• After several hours of use - usually 12-24 or so - no device in the house can access internet. Modem is delivering it, but something seems to be happening with the RAX80 in its management of the network - maybe DHCP? When this occurs, beyond internet outage, mywifiext ceases to recognize the presence of the extenders, even when the device you are on is connecting through that extender. Connected Devices on the RAX80 still shows the extenders as being hard-wired with the appropriate internal IP. Internet dashboard on RAX80 shows "Not Connected" to internet, although a cable plugged directly into a computer from modem has no issue accessing internet. Reboot of RAX80 solves problem, but for extended period thereafter, mywifiext tells you that extenders have not been set up with the router, and invites you to connect them using Netgear Genie. 
  • At random intervals, one of the frequency bands on the extenders just...stops. It could be the 2.4ghz or the 5ghz, but you'll see on the extender dashboard that it isn't sending anything on that frequency band. Channels are NOT crowded, as I'm in the middle of nowhere, and they are set to be different from one another. All other settings, from what I can tell, are identical and compatible. 
  • Speeds are just garbage. Devices are selecting distant, weak 2.4ghz signals through a series of 10 brick walls instead of 5ghz connections from a router 15 feet away through open air. 
  • I've tried disabling AX, but it doesn't change anything.

What's the deal here? Is there just a fundamental compatibility problem? Is there something I'm missing in this combo of devices? Some dumb rookie mistake I'm making here? In anything I've ever set up like this, same SSID and hard wiring was a magic bullet, but these Netgear devices seem to be working hard to find a way NOT to work together. 

Model: EX8000|AC3000 Nighthawk X6S Tri Band WiFi Mesh Extender, RAX80|Nighthawk AX8 8-Stream WiFi Router
Message 1 of 5
wrguinn
Initiate

Apologies for not specifying. Both ethernet-connected EX8000 units are in AP mode.

Message 2 of 5
Christian_R
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello wrguinn - I would like for support to get in contact with you. When you get a chance, please send me a message with your contact info and serial number.

~Christian 

Message 3 of 5
Bryan_T
Initiate

I have this exact same problem, only difference is I only have one EX8000 I am using with my RAX80.  I have tried the EX8000 both as a wired AP and as an extender and experience the same issue.  I upgraded both to the firmware released this week today. 

The funny thing is - every time I go to my summer home, I bring this same EX8000 up there and use it with my CM700 and it works fine for weeks at a time

Message 4 of 5
Christian_R
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi Bryan_T - Have you gotten a chance to contact our Support Team regarding your issue? If not, you may contact them using the link below. 

https://www.netgear.com/support/default.aspx

~Christian 

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7