× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

DG834PN how to use as wireless extender

tompeters
Aspirant

DG834PN how to use as wireless extender

I've searched this forum and the entire internet for a simple jargon-free list of instructions to use my spare and brand new DG834PN as a wireless range extender. Rather than buy a new box I would prefer to use the brand new DG834PN that I bought in Spain and never used.

An instruction to "Login to the Master" means nothing to me without... Connect an ethernet cable, .... enter ..... in browser bar,..etc. if you see what I mean? 🙂

I have read that the DG834PN will do this, if you know how 🙂

At the moment I have a UK BT wireless router WPA2-PSK with data encryption AES connected to the ADSL phone line and it works. I just want to extend the range. I don't know what its IP address is, which radio channel it is running on or how to find that out, even. One complication with the British Telecom system might be that it doesn't just transmit one WiFi channel, it transmits two others for use, I think, by passers by who can use your broadband if they are BT customers (not at my expense). I only want to extend the range of the primary WiFi signal, not the ones for passers-by!

We have two mobile phones running Android, two iPads and two PC laptops with WiFi and ideally we'd just like to be able to wander round the house without the signal dropping. If possible.

So what I'd like help with, please, is a simple list of instructions. I've seen the schematic that seems to pop up against every query similar to mine and doesn't really help me as I don't understand the instructions!

Many thanks in anticipation 🙂
Message 1 of 8
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

Re: DG834PN how to use as wireless extender

Message 2 of 8
tompeters
Aspirant

Hi Jim, Thanks for the reply. I've seen that same post with link from you dozens of times on this site, and the same pdf on goodness knows how many sites but there is terminology in there I don't understand and steps I don't know how to carry out.

In my case, my master router is a British Telecom one, no doubt it's a product with a BT badge but has BT firmware. So having logged onto the master (I think I can find out how to do that) the instructions on the pdf don't necessarily apply - the two extra WiFi channels prossibly need to be considered?

Also, I see that you have to enter the MAC addresses of the portable devices. If the MACs of all users have to be in the master then the system is useless when friends come to stay unless I take their phones/tablets/laptops and enter their MACSs into the master. Not something I'd ever get round to doing. I need to be able to tell visitors the name of the access point and the password key and let them setup their own devices without having to log into the master router and modify that.

Many thanks for your help, much appreciated 🙂

ps - sorry if any of my terminology is wrong, I don't keep up to date with the jargon
Message 3 of 8
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

Unfortunately you need to find similar settings like in PDF on your BT and use WEP or no security. It is possible that you may not able to do it
Message 4 of 8
tompeters
Aspirant

OK, thanks. If it's going to be problematic to use the spare DG834PN I can buy another product. Is there another Netgear product that might do what I want? I think you can see what I'd like....essentially one hotspot showing for the whole house, and all you have to do for guests is give them the hotspot name and password....just like in McDonalds but without the calories 🙂
Message 5 of 8
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

Look at guest gate

Guestgate.com
Message 6 of 8
tompeters
Aspirant

Thank you, but I am a private house. All I want is for my friends and family to be able to use their laptops, iPads, iPhones and Androids when they are visiting me, just as I use mine in their homes. It's just that my home is a very large bungalow so a single wireless router cannot reach all around it.

There has to be an easier way than buying a solution aimed at a hotel? Mine cannot be an unusual problem?

Thanks for your help 🙂
Message 7 of 8
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

Buy new router wndrxx family which has guest wireless
Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation