× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: De-bottlenecking the internet speed of a WN1000 v3

mdkr
Novice

De-bottlenecking the internet speed of a WN1000 v3

Hi ,

I am using the WN1000 v3 as access Point.
My router from internet provider gives me 120 mps according to speedtest.com

When I am sitting next to my NetGear WN1000 v3 I only get 20 mps.
I've already configured the channel to 1 ,6 11 or 13, set it to 40 Hz (no mixed 20/40) and opted out on QoS
My Wireless Card is Intel(R) Centrino(R) Ultimate-N 6300 AGN ("802.11agn, 3x3, dual band delivers up to 450 Mbps and maximum range and reliability; 5 GHz boosts speeds and reduces congestion; energy efficient2 for greater mobility and convenience."), so I dont think my wirless card is limiting it.

How should I configure my WN1000 v3 to reach the speed closer to 120 mps ?

Thanks
Message 1 of 6
lurzan
Novice

Change the router.
WNR1000v3 is just a N150 router and with that router do not expect the speed that you are expecting. At least go for N300 router.
Message 2 of 6
Mosie
Aspirant

I have N150 WNR 1000v3 and it is hooked into my centurylink DSL Modem w/ethernet cord .
I have been roaming around this place for days trying to find same problem or a place to post my problem at least but newbie here is total confused by now.
Anyway while sitting at desk with laptop next to router an modem it is fine and even has 4-5 bars Genie say.. But when I try to walk about 35-50ft away to other room in direct view of router it drops connection.And I use to use laptop in that room all the time but now can not.I do not understand why now can not.Also Genie use to show me all the other WIFI in neighborhood but now does not. It will try to show me but then quickly stops. I have had router about a year now and wondering if is already going kaput and need to save money for a stronger router with dsl or dsl with wifi.Please tell me what could be causing all this?
Message 3 of 6
fordem
Mentor

If you cannot see the other wireless networks in the neighborhood, and those are normally visible, the wireless card in the laptop would be my first suspect.
Message 4 of 6
Mosie
Aspirant

My laptop is not that old but is there a way to check card out? I have a HP laptop with Win8.1 on it.Everything updated
Message 5 of 6
Babylon5
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Use it with a variety of other networks to see what kind of throughput you get compared to other users. I’m guessing that the laptop WiFi card is a PCIe device and so can be changed for something else, and if you can access it you could check that the antennae are properly connected and there are the correct number of antennae for the device to operate at its best. You can also buy antennae that can be added to the laptop though it’s usually better if they are built in by the manufacturer so that they are optimally placed.
Message 6 of 6
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7