× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Device lockup (Orange light) on home WiFi

Anach
Guide

Device lockup (Orange light) on home WiFi

I've been trying to troubleshoot a problem I'm having with a secondhand EX6100. I bought the device from a friend that had been using it without problems, but when I reset it and connect it to my network, the device locks up soon after and I have to power-cycle, even with no WiFi devices connected to it.

Initially I thought there were problems with the 5G, so I setup the device in 2G only, without luck. I've tried numerous settings, from leaving it basic config (wizard) to custom settings. I've reverted to stock firmware and then updated again. Nothing I seem to do makes a difference. I've lost count of the times I've reset this device.

The Ex6100 is connecting to a WNDR4500, both with latest firmware. I have zero problems with any other device connected to the WNDR4500, on either band.

I gave the EX6100 back to my friend to test again on his network and it worked fine for 2 days, where as I can only get a few hours at most, but usually around 5 minutes before lockup.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Message 1 of 12
Anach
Guide

Re: Device lockup (Orange light) on home WiFi

I believe I have fixed it. Since disabling the guest network on the router, the wifi-extender has been online without a problem. No idea why the guest network would be causing the extender to shutdown, but fingers-crossed that this is the cause.
Message 2 of 12
Anach
Guide

Spoke too soon. Rebooting the router broke the wifi extender again.
Message 3 of 12
tueselbert
Aspirant

I have got the same problem! Have you solved it?

I have also disabled the guest network, it works fine until I reboot my router. Now the wifi extender brokes again.
Please tell me if you have a solution.
thank you!
Message 4 of 12
Anach
Guide

Yeah it seems that once they are working, rebooting either of them will make it start locking up once again. I was unable to fix it. I tried everything I could think of to fix it. For now I have given up. Either I need a different extender or a different router; I wont know without being able to test it elsewhere.
Message 5 of 12
tueselbert
Aspirant

Thank you for the answer!
I will contact the support and hope they can help me.
Message 6 of 12
Fairytail
Virtuoso

Configure the extender close to the main router. Probably 10 feet. Change channel for the router and set static IP on the extender in range with the router.
Message 7 of 12
Anach
Guide

I did all those things. Tried various channels, scanned with WiFi Analyizer for the clearest channel, tried various static IPs, configured it very close, but it was still unreliable.
Message 8 of 12
Fairytail
Virtuoso

I would suggest to contact support team for proper diagnoses. It might be defective.
Message 9 of 12
Gribouille28210
Aspirant

Hello, i have exactly the same problem. My device is new ????
I am french.
Have you fix this problem ?
Thank's for reply.
Paul:(
Message 10 of 12
Fairytail
Virtuoso

Check for new firmwares and make sure it is updated.
Message 11 of 12
Anach
Guide

I have found a solution. I noticed some of the other devices on my network (notably mobile phones), would need to have their wifi disabled/enabled to fix connection issues every now and then. So I started to suspect there might be something wrong with my router's wifi. I ended up installing DD-WRT custom firmware to my router (WNDR4500v1), and tried the Wifi Extender once again. It's been several days now, and I haven't had a single issue with any device on my network, not only that, but the connection is more reliable and faster; I have many more configuration options on the DD-WRT firmware, and at first it can be a little confusing to configure, but it's working flawlessly now. So it seems that there is a problem with the standard firmware of my router and wifi that causes other devices to drop-out or in the extender's case, lockup.
Message 12 of 12
Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7