× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Devices plugged into ports of my WN2500RP extender loose connection to internet

semperdoodle
Follower

Devices plugged into ports of my WN2500RP extender loose connection to internet

So I am setting up our new satellite office for the law firm I work for. Our new landlord graciousely provides free wi-fi to his tenants. His netgear router is on the second floor while our office is on the first floor. I can pick up the signal ok but I have ran into a dilema. We are using two voip net phones which both need a physical ethernet port on a gateway or access point to function. So we are extending the wi-fi signal with the extender so as to plug in the voip phones into its provided ethernet ports. Everything works just fine untill thr PC we are using for the office shuts down or restarts. At that point the phones both loose connection even though they are not physically plugged into the PC and only plugged into the ports of the extender and a power outlet. Rhis is problamatic because I have specifically set up the pc to allow the SSHD to easily be connected or disconnected. As we do not staff the satellite office full time we are reluctant to leave the office unattended with sensitive client data stored on the pc. So we need to be able to bring the drive to the office and take it with us when we leave. Unfortunately it appears that the extender cannot keep the network signal routed through the ports without relying on the computers wireless connection to the extended ssid. That means without leaving the pc on we cant receive calls or faxes to the office. Does anyone know of a viable solution to this problem?

Message 1 of 5
Babylon5
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: Devices plugged into ports of my WN2500RP extender loose connection to internet

I’m wondering how the base network that the landlord provides is operating, is the PC in some way registered to that connection such that when it shuts down the extender’s connection to the base station is lost. Do you have details of that connection?

Message 2 of 5
B81750
Aspirant

Re: Devices plugged into ports of my WN2500RP extender loose connection to internet

Mine keep dropping connection or it goes limited
Message 3 of 5
nhann
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi B81750,

What is your network setup?

- which router are you using

- how is the router connected to the WN2500RP (wired or wireless)

- how are devices connected to the WN2500RP (wired or wireless)

Message 4 of 5
normaleyes
Initiate

The issue might be how you have your phone and computer connected to the network. Are you using the extra ethernet port on the VoIP phone to connect the computer to your network? Ours (where I work) are connected this way, and whenever a computer is rebooted the phone goes "off-line" until power is restored to the computer.

Message 5 of 5
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7