× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Disabling Virtual Mac Address

mjgtp
Tutor

Disabling Virtual Mac Address

Ok, this is really annoying.  How do I disable the virtual mac address assignments given to devices connecting up to my range extender?  There's got to be a way.  This is screwing up my IP address assignments on my R8000 router which is apparently based off mac addresses.  Are you (netgear) seriously telling me I need to get every "virtual mac address" from each of the extenders, for each device?  Is the virtual mac address sticky between extenders for the same device?  If I have a laptop with mac address ABC.... I used that to assign an IP address to it on my router.  If I have 10 range extenders....  and that laptop moves between range exenders -- how do I keep that laptop assigned to a single IP address as it disconnects and reconnects between extenders???

Model: EX2700|N300 WiFi Range Extender Essentials Edition, R8000|Nighthawk X6 AC3200 Smart WIFI Router
Message 1 of 3

Accepted Solutions
mjgtp
Tutor

Re: Virtual Mac Address

Well, obviously this is going to go nowhere.  I'm returning it to the store.  Rediculous.  So unfortunate as this is a neat little gadget with a small footprint.  I'll go back to using my old router as a repeater.  Much more useful.

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 3

All Replies
mjgtp
Tutor

...And on top of that, the router won't let me assign the same IP address on the network for a second mac address.  This is rediculous.  Why is the "virtual mac address" even a feature at all?  Why can't you just use the actual mac address of the device?!?

Message 2 of 3
mjgtp
Tutor

Well, obviously this is going to go nowhere.  I'm returning it to the store.  Rediculous.  So unfortunate as this is a neat little gadget with a small footprint.  I'll go back to using my old router as a repeater.  Much more useful.

Message 3 of 3
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 1 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7