× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Disconnect/Reconnect issues with Samsung devices

Jimkata
Aspirant

Disconnect/Reconnect issues with Samsung devices

I recently got a Samsung Galaxy Tab2 tablet. When using DHCP settings, it repeatedly connects/disconnects from my Netgear wireless router. Searching the web, I see a lot of people are having this type of issue with various Samsung devices, and different models of Netgear routers. The common symptom is Samsung connected to Netgear. The only "fix" that has worked for me was to assign my tablet a static IP address (solution from Samsung). All my other devices (NOT Samsung) work fine with my wifi with no issues. My tablet connects to other wifi routers at my office and other hotspots with no issues. Both the router and tablet have all firmware and software updates, and wifi is set not to sleep on the tablet. I'm at wits end...

Anybody else experiencing this? If so, have you found a fix? 😞
Message 1 of 7
fordem
Mentor

Re: Disconnect/Reconnect issues with Samsung devices

The WiFi is set not to sleep on the tablet - I could be wrong - but that doesn't prevent the WiFi from shutting down, at least not on my Tab2.

To be honest, I didn't even know it was an option until I saw your post and looked for it, and mine is set to always - so with it set to Always Keep WiFi on during sleep - my WiFi still shuts down when the tablet sleeps.

It also always re-connects when the tablet wakes, and always gets an ip address using DHCP.
Message 2 of 7
Jimkata
Aspirant

Sleeping is not the issue on my tablet as the disconnect/reconnect occurs when the tablet is wide awake and not sleeping. I've kept the wifi settings open and watched it connect - drop - reconnect - drop - reconnect over and over again.
Message 3 of 7
fordem
Mentor

And 1) your other devices don't do that; 2) the Samsung only does it with your Netgear?

I've been using wireless for over a decade and I'm yet to see a wireless device that doesn't do that, and that includes situations where I'm no further than five feet from the access point - handheld devices such as a tablet, where the position of your hand relative to the antenna can affect signal strength, are also more prone to it.
Message 4 of 7
Jimkata
Aspirant

This isn't just an occasional disconnect/reconnect, but one that happens almost every minute if not more frequently... over and over again, making web browsing painfully slow and causing sync issues... pretty sure its a battery drain too. Now that I've assigned a static IP to the tablet, it doesn't do that. I shouldn't have to do that. I am of the opinion it has something to do with Samsung's equipment/drivers, but who knows? Still searching for answers...
Message 5 of 7
fordem
Mentor

Two points - one - the only "drivers" involved are on the tablet, if it works properly with a different router (as you say it does), it's exactly the same driver being used, so that rules out a driver issue - additionally, setting a static ip will have no effect on a driver issue, and - two - if the original problem is the wireless disconnecting and reconnectiong, setting a static ip will have no effect - all that's going to happen is that you have an ip address and no connection.
Message 6 of 7
Jimkata
Aspirant

I know its not logical... but the problem exists. A quick Google search will show that many other individuals have the exact same problem. Samsung even posted their solution to it: using the static IP... I'm not crazy... much...
Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7