× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Do I need a stronger extender?

nodakskip
Aspirant

Do I need a stronger extender?

Ok, here is the deal. My parents just bought a new house (brand new). The only internet they could get was through 'Midcontinent' in West Fargo ND. They got a wireless cable modem that is set up in the main floor office at the front of the house. However the signal didn't reach that great towards the basement so I got a N300 WiFi Range Extender for the basement. I did the set up and it now reads as their network with _ext in the basement so they can use smart tvs and ipads.

In the living room upstairs its a weak signal and I tried another N300 WiFi Range Extender there but am not sure if that would work with 2 of them in the house. I figured it would name it _ext 2 or something but same as _ext.

We are thinking of putting the modem in the living room area (middle 1st floor), leaving the N300 WiFi Range Extender downstairs alone. And maybe trying to put the second N300 WiFi Range Extender in the office where the two pcs are.

I do not know if its possible to get a newer wireless modem from the cable company or not. Is there a extender or booster that would be powerful enough to cover both floors?
Message 1 of 4
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Re: Do I need a stronger extender?

Does the modem have a LAN port? Is there any CAT XX cable in the house? Since new you would think so.

I'm not familiar with extenders sorry.
Message 2 of 4
Xcellers
Aspirant

A second extender would be just fine, barred you can get a better router from your ISP, you will have to give them unique names but otherwise there should be no problems
Message 3 of 4
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

There are numerous posting using multiple extender which each one connect main wireless router . Also each extender can not be used back to back to extend. It fail

You best best if relocated the main ISP devices to have better way to spread the signal evenly in the middle of the house or possible run CAT5 to have better stability and performance. Also power line device is your options if running CAT5 is not durable
Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7