× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Do I need both the EX2700 and the WN1000RP?

NLD
Aspirant
Aspirant

Do I need both the EX2700 and the WN1000RP?

Moved into a rental. Modem/router combo is located in an upstairs extra room. Having trouble with streaming video downstairs and we can't all be on devices at same time. Tech came out and suggested netgear extender and showed me the WN1000RP but described it as though it was 2 pieces of equipment. I thought he said to have one connected to the modem thru Ethernet and then one that plugs into the wall. He said he doesn't have it, he has something a bit fancier but that his boss showed him this at work and he was impressed. I'm thinking he may not realize that the two pieces didn't come together in the package? So now I'm trying to figure out if I need both or just one. And if only one, is it better to go with the EX 2700 to boost the 5G signal to our TV downstairs for streaming. I'm not a techie at all, so any help is appreciated. I liked the idea of an easy fix, 'plug and play' as the tech said. (Tried to get a hold of him by going through the cable company but he was a contractor so cable company couldn't get in contact with him). Thanks in advance. p.s. Speed test with laptop plugged into modem was 300mbps; wireless speed test with same laptop while siting next to modem was around 70mps, if that helps. Also, modem etc. is not the problem.
Message 1 of 7
TheEther
Guru

Re: Do I need both the EX2700 and the WN1000RP?

How fast is your Internet service?

Can you provide the model # of the modem/router combo?  The units supplied by ISPs historically had really awful wireless but I feel that there has been a big turnaround of late.  Many of the newer units have 802.11ac and decent performance.  

You should compare the modem/router's wireless specs against the EX2700 and WN1000RP.  BTW, neither one supports 5 GHz.  They are both N300 class extenders and only operate at 2.4 GHz.  

The tech may be thinking that a second extender can replace the wireless functions of the modem/router.  This can work but it requires an extender that can function as an Access Point wired thru Ethernet.  Neither the EX2700 nor the WN1000RP can function in this way.  These are pretty much the only Netgear extenders that lack this capability.

Message 2 of 7
NLD
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thanks for the reply. I'm not sure where I saw it supported 5G. I did a comparison of the two and I swear it said the 2700 did. Our internet speed is supposed to be 300mbps. The modem is a UBEE? Not sure of model, as I'm not near it at the moment. Someone else said I should be good to go with the 2700 places in a spot somewhere between the modem (upstairs) and the TV (downstairs).
Message 3 of 7
TheEther
Guru

If the EX2700 is solely for serving the TV then, sure, it should work.  OTOH, if you want better wireless coverage to all wireless devices, then a dual-band extender may be worth considering.  Again, you need to know the wireless capabilities of the modem/router.

Message 4 of 7
NLD
Aspirant
Aspirant

So if I went with the dual band extender, where would you suggest set up? Near the modem? Also, modem is Ubee model DVW32C, if that helps. We just moved in so the plan is to have a tv where the modem currently is upstairs in the bonus room in addition to the one that is downstairs in the family room. Thanks!
Message 5 of 7
TheEther
Guru

I couldn't find the DVW32C on Ubee's website.  The closest is the DVW32CB.  If this is what you have, then it is dual-band.  I would try putting the extender somewhere between the bonus room and family room.

Message 6 of 7
NLD
Aspirant
Aspirant

Yes, that looks to be the correct one. Sorry, must have missed the last letter! Ok, so just get the extender that plugs into the wall and put it somewhere in between...there are not a lot of outlets between so it's one or the other (closer to modem or closer to TV). I will probably put it closer to the TV. Thanks! I appreciate the help!
Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7