× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Does EX7000 range extender allow to use separated SSID, WPA2 security key and local network?

B_David
Aspirant

Does EX7000 range extender allow to use separated SSID, WPA2 security key and local network?

Hi experts,

I'm thinking about purchasing a EX7000 range extender. My question is, I use my landlord's WIFI connection, I want my EX7000 wirelessly connects to my landlord's wireless router, and use separated SSID, WPA2 security key and local network that only for my own personal use. Since I will connect my NAS/printer to my EX7000, so that I don't want my landlord to see or access my devices in my local network. Will the EX7000 range extender meet my needs?

Thanks in advance for your answer.

Message 1 of 16

Accepted Solutions
TheEther
Guru

Re: Does EX7000 range extender allow to use separated SSID, WPA2 security key and local network?

Unless I am mistaken, I do not believe this is correct. The landlord's devices will not be blocked from seeing the devices behind the EX7000. It has no firewall.

You need a firewall to shield your devices. You could buy a router that has a Wi-Fi as WAN port in order to connect to the landlord's Wi-Fi network. You can do a web search for Wi-Fi as WAN router to find a few models.

Another option is to buy a regular Wi-Fi router and pair it up with extender that supports Access Point (AP) mode. The extender as Access Point would connect to the landlord's Wi-Fi network, and the router would function as the firewall.

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 16

All Replies
nhann
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi B_David,

use separated SSID, WPA2 security key and local network that only for my own personal use. Since I will connect my NAS/printer to my EX7000, so that I don't want my landlord to see or access my devices in my local network. Will the EX7000 range extender meet my needs?

Yes, please see the following screencap from the EX7000 setup of extender mode:

Capture.PNG

However, for your NAS, a Powerline may give you better performance if you have access to your Landlord's ethernet ports.

For NAS security, if you have a controller such as the ReadyNAS, then you can set your own username/password credentials.

Message 2 of 16
TheEther
Guru

Unless I am mistaken, I do not believe this is correct. The landlord's devices will not be blocked from seeing the devices behind the EX7000. It has no firewall.

You need a firewall to shield your devices. You could buy a router that has a Wi-Fi as WAN port in order to connect to the landlord's Wi-Fi network. You can do a web search for Wi-Fi as WAN router to find a few models.

Another option is to buy a regular Wi-Fi router and pair it up with extender that supports Access Point (AP) mode. The extender as Access Point would connect to the landlord's Wi-Fi network, and the router would function as the firewall.

Message 3 of 16
nhann
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Sorry, my mistake. If you followed my post, the landlord would still be able to see your devices through their router's Attached Devices.

Please follow @TheEther 's suggestion

Message 4 of 16
B_David
Aspirant

Thanks for the answer. I appreciate it.

Message 5 of 16
B_David
Aspirant

Hi TheRther, from the "another option" of your answer, can I use a powerline instead of extender? Thanks.

Message 6 of 16
TheEther
Guru

Use Powerline to connect to a LAN port on the landlord's router? Yes, that will work.
Message 7 of 16
netwrks
Master

@TheEther wrote:
Use Powerline to connect to a LAN port on the landlord's router? Yes, that will work.

Maybe, maybe not.. Chances are, each apartment, (unless it's a house) may have their own electrical panel box, which could pose a problem.

Message 8 of 16
B_David
Aspirant

"Another option is to buy a regular Wi-Fi router and pair it up with extender that supports Access Point (AP) mode. The extender as Access Point would connect to the landlord's Wi-Fi network, and the router would function as the firewall."

In case of powerline doesn't work. I will use an extender to connect to a LAN port on my landlord's router and set the extender as AP. My question is how to set up my regular Wi-Fi router, so that it can connect to the AP wirelessly? 

Message 9 of 16
TheEther
Guru

Sorry, I mixed up the terminology.

What I meant to say was this.  Set up the extender to connect wirelessly to your landlord's router.  Once that's done, connect the WAN port of a regular Wi-Fi router to the extender's LAN port.

Message 10 of 16
B_David
Aspirant

Finally, here is my setup currently.

landlord's wireless router  ---wireless--->  my wireless router #1 that runs at wireless AP mode  ---wired---> my wireless router #2 that runs as a regular router, 

I plug my NAS, printer and desktop computer to the router #2's lan ports, and wireless connect my cell phone and notebook to the router #2's WIFI.

My question is, is this setup safe? Because I'm concerned the security of my network, does the router #2 act as a firewall?

Message 11 of 16
B_David
Aspirant

Sorry, I messed up AP mode and Repeater mode in the previous post. Here is my current setup.

Finally, here is my setup currently.

landlord's wireless router  ---wireless--->  my wireless router #1 that runs at wireless Repeater mode  ---wired---> my wireless router #2 that runs as a regular router, 

I plug my NAS, printer and desktop computer to the router #2's lan ports, and wireless connect my cell phone and notebook to the router #2's WIFI.

My question is, is this setup safe? Because I'm concerned the security of my network, does the router #2 act as a firewall?

Message 12 of 16
TheEther
Guru

Your setup may not be safe. It depends on the wireless security between the landlord's router and router #1. Is it WPA2? If it is, then you are ok. If it's WEP or, worse, none then you should talk to your landlord about enabling WPA2.

Most, if not all, Netgear routers do not support WPA2 encryption when used as a repeater, so if router #1 is a Netgear, then it's most likely insecure. Netgear's dedicated extenders (e.g. EX7000, EX6100, etc.) support WPA2.

Router #2 will function as a firewall, but make sure that WPA2 is enabled on it, too.

Message 13 of 16
B_David
Aspirant

Yes, both of the wireless connections use WPA2. The router #1 is an old router which I flashed a 3rd party firmware, so that it can use WPA2 encryption when used as a repeater. My router #2 is a new Netgear R7000 and I'm very satisfied its performance.

Message 14 of 16
TheEther
Guru

Sounds like you are good to go. Be aware that you now have two layers of NAT (one at your landlord's router and one at your router). This can cause problems for some sensitive applications as well as gaming. But if everything is working, then leave well enough alone.

Message 15 of 16
B_David
Aspirant

OK, and thank you for all your help.

Message 16 of 16
Discussion stats
  • 15 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7