× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: EAX20 (AX1800 extender) will not connect via wifi or ethernet

internot
Aspirant

EAX20 (AX1800 extender) will not connect via wifi or ethernet

EAX20 extender worked as intended for three days or so.  When it worked as extender my laptop showed four available networks 2 2.4ghz and 2 5ghz.  (as an aside, All had the same name.  None had "_ext" appended to them).

Started having internet issues at laptop.  Wifi analyzer showed all 4 network options to connect two (see above).  However, if laptop connected to the network coming from the EAX20 there was no internet.

After many, many hours of fiddling with restarting, rebooting, updating firmware, trying apps, mywifiext net, routerlogin net, manually adding MAC addresses to the router list of approved devices, changing router passwords, shutting off router security, trying WPS connection, etc.

The penulatimate conclusion is that EAX20 will not connect to router via wifi (says passphrase is incorrect) and defaults setting up Access Points and sends out a "name_ext 2.4 ghz" and "name_ext 5 ghz" useless network with no internet connection.

The ultimate conclusion is that EAX20 will not connect via WIFI or ethernet cable if device is configured as an Access Point instead of extender. 

Router connects to computer via ethernet cable.  EAX20 connects to computer via ethernet cable.  Router will not connect to EAX20 via same ethernet cable. 

Really frustrated.  This has been a costly purchase given time spent for nought.

Message 1 of 8
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Interestingly, I noticed yesterday my EAX20 had stopped working. It is not connecting to the router (RAX40) whatsoever. Tried Nighthawk app, via mywifiext and WPS, I reset it to factory settings several times, nothing helped. My EX7500 extender works perfectly.

If I try to setup using the Nighthawk app, it goes all the way until to the point where you enter your wifi passwords for it to be able to extend. At the point, it says it is configuring and after a while it says passwords are incorrect while they aren't. It does nothing via WPS, WPS pairing simply doesn't work. And with the Netgear mywifiext installation process, it says it cannot extend 5ghz despite extender being right next to the router, if I skip it, it continues and when it finishes, you can never find it via the ip address or mywifiext address. The light that shows connection to the router is OFF at the end of the process. I wonder if the hardware is faulty or they pushed a bad firmware?

Message 2 of 8
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Confirming that the latest firmware (1.0.3.80_1.0.1) update of my router RAX40 broke the connection between the router and the extender

Message 3 of 8
internot
Aspirant

Thanks I will will try to revert to old FW.

Message 4 of 8
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Could you post your results with the previous firmware?

The only reason I'm holding onto the new 1.0.3.80 firmware is due to smart connect.
Message 5 of 8
pmokros
Aspirant

Yeah, I have the same problem.  I figured why not upgrade the firmware?  But then it kept saying bad password and it can't connect to my SSID.  I tried to use the iPhone app to do the configuration.  I also reset to factory settings to start all over and ran into the same problem.  I confirmed my pre-shared key is correct.  I think I'll try configuring through a browser on a hardwired system and if that doesn't work try reverting to older firmware.

Message 6 of 8
Retired_Member
Not applicable

I returned back to the latest working firmware for RAX40. Also I noticed there was a new "HOTFIX" for EAX20 that doesn't come through automatic updates and even I updated the EAX20 to this HotFix firmware, I did not bother with going back to the latest with RAX40.

Message 7 of 8
olympos1625
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi @internot,

Good day!

Welcome to NETGEAR Community!

First of all, we do apologize for the inconvenience of not getting back to you immediately due to the back log in the system. Were you able to downgrade the firmware as what Bushmaster78FS advised? How was it? Do you still have internet access on the EAX20 even with the old firmware?

Additional information:

What is the brand and model of your main router?

Please do not hesitate to let me know if you need further assistance. 

Regards,
Oliver
Community Team

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7