× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: EAX20 AX1800 how can I change the security type

pubpurc
Aspirant

EAX20 AX1800 how can I change the security type

When my iPhone 12 Pro is connected to the extender, the phone tells me that the connection has a weak security. I tried to find out the security type ie. WPA, WPA2 or WPA3 on the extender. The Wireless section of the extender GUI shows only that the connection is protected but it does not tell me which security type it is using. How can I change the security type for the bands?
Message 1 of 4
plemans
Guru

If you set it up using wps, it uses the same security of your router. 

You can factory reset and extender and reinstall it using the installation assistant if you'd like. 

Check the security on your router as well. 

EAX20 | WiFi Range Extender | NETGEAR Support

Message 2 of 4
pubpurc
Aspirant

Thanks for the suggestion. In fact the security type can be set manually when I create a new password for the bands instead of using the same passwords as the router.
Message 3 of 4
Leon949
Aspirant

I found that with my current Netgear Router (R6700AX) set with WPA3, WPS will not connect, even when I use a direct Ethernet connection.  The Router does not see it.  When I demote Router to "No Security" and WPS, the extender is seen and I can log in to the extender setup.   I left the Ethernet connected during the initial setup.

(BTW, the login that worked for me:  http://mywifiext.local/start.htm

http://mywifiext.local/start.htm

User Login (mywifiext.local)

)

After logging in to the extender, I just used the SMART Setup and made sure I answered the One Name, etc.  Same PW, etc.

When all done, your status may show that the 2.4 GHz not enabled/connected.  Don't worry.  If you say "Yes" to all the available options, your extender will broadcast and decided the best avenue/connection wherever you put the extender.

In my house the router is on one side and the extender gave me over 100 megabits/s, 40' away - doubling what I had.  Not gaming speed, but happy for streaming videos and I didn't have to relocate the router. 

Happy.

Message 4 of 4
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7