× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

EAX20 and guest network

Brettmcm
Apprentice

EAX20 and guest network

I have the guest network on my router/ modem (CAX30) and I have my EAX20 Mesh Extender connected but I'm wondering if I should make a guest network on my EAX20 with the same name and password as my Guest network from the CAX30 to extend those as well or will that just cause more problmes than it cures? 

Message 1 of 3
plemans
Guru

Re: EAX20 and guest network

Do you frequently have guests that need better coverage? 

If so, you can always try it.

Worst case, it causes instability and you disable it. 

Best case is a seamless guest network. 

If you don't have visitors that often, I wouldn't worry about it. 

Most of the people who come to my place rarely jump on the wifi and just use their LTE. 

Those who ask, I'm always happy to give my info to for connection. 

I've always been a fan of keeping things simple. 

Message 2 of 3
Brettmcm
Apprentice

Re: EAX20 and guest network

I use the guest network to definitively connect specific devices to a specific frequency, for example IOT devices that will only connect to 2.4ghz. I find that smart connect (regardless of manufactuer) is very unreliable when it comes to connecting devices. I have a mesh device and I want to be able to switch between my router and extender seamlessy. Currently the only stable network is the guest 2.4, smart connect will constantly pause your device while it takes up to a minute or more to connect between the different frequency's. It's so bad that using one network name and smart connect is unusable unless your sitting next to either the router or extender. If it puts you in 5ghz and you don't move it's fun but as soon as you get up to use the bathroom or something .... your looking at a 1-2 minute pause unless you shut off the wifi on your device and turn it back on, chose the guest 2.4 then it will connect right away, but having to do that constantly sucks. So everyone just uses the guest 2.4 which totally defeats the point of buying the latest and greatest wifi6 router/modem combo .. but if I can seamlessy move between router and the extender on the guest 2.4 that's better than nothing 

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7