× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: EAX20 extender networks setup but no internet

tafkaltlg
Tutor

EAX20 extender networks setup but no internet

New Netgear Nighthawk EAX20 extender, ran setup with wizard, installed fine.  Extender found and connected to Motorola MT8733 no problem.

Devices connect to extended networks ok, but no internet.

Devices connect to original network of motorola just fine with internet

Saw another thread suggesting problem with security settings of the modem/router (not the extender)???

Anybody have any workarounds?

1st pic = shows networks >  Screen Shot 2022-09-16 at 10.32.29 PM.png

2nd pic shows TCP/IP of regular network (Jack's) -  motorola modem/router ip is 192.168.0.1    Screen Shot 2022-09-16 at 10.30.21 PM.png

3rd pic shows TCP/IP of Nighthawk extended network- netgear extended router ip in 192.168.1.250   Screen Shot 2022-09-16 at 10.38.39 PM.png

Will the nighthawk just not play nice with a motorola modem/router?

Message 1 of 8
plemans
Guru

What happens when you factory reset and run setup using the WPS push button method? 

(it'll have the same ssid as the router so won't show up separate as WPS installs in mesh mode)

Message 2 of 8
tafkaltlg
Tutor

Factory re-set, 

setup using WPS,  both 2.4 and 5g networks and guest networks appear, broadcast and can be connected to-  but still no internet

IMG_3679.PNGIMG_3678.PNGIMG_3677.PNG

Message 3 of 8
plemans
Guru

I don't believe you reran setup or it didn't reset properly. (not saying you didn't do it, just something wasn't done right) Reason I say that is the default option when you setup using WPS is the "one wifi" option where it has the same ssid as your router that you're connecting to. Yours is setting up with the _EXT extension. Which isn't default. 

What router are you connecting to? 

What modem/gateway is the router connected to?

did you go in and set a static ip address?

Message 4 of 8
tafkaltlg
Tutor

hey, I really appreciate your help! 

I did do the wps setup/ 'one wifi'... had connection between extender and modem/router fine again- but still no internet.

It showed as having the _ext extension because I had renamed to further diagnose each network.

Re-did, again... this time, followed your advise of the static IP -  not too knowledgable about that-  but guessed setting the static ip to the extenders IP and then I had to enter the gateway IP- which I was guessing was the motorola modem/router I wanted to extend?  And the primary DNS? Guessed again at IPv4 DNS, (not the IPv6 ?)

Hoping that did it.  Seems to  be working now.  Going to move the extender to its final location tomorrow-  fingers crossed.Screen Shot 2022-09-19 at 12.34.28 AM.pngScreen Shot 2022-09-19 at 12.23.26 AM.pngScreen Shot 2022-09-19 at 12.09.24 AM.pngScreen Shot 2022-09-19 at 12.35.40 AM.png

Message 5 of 8
tafkaltlg
Tutor

Nope-

still not working!!   

When I get to an area the extender covers, I show full connection to router, but no internet....

Any last suggestions before i return this thing?

Message 6 of 8
plemans
Guru

My only other suggestion would be try it with a different router or even hotspot your phone and see if it works. 

If it does, its an issue with something in the router. If it doesn't, it could be a defective device. 

Message 7 of 8
Samuraiblu
Aspirant

You’re not the only one with this issue I have the same problem and I can’t figure out why it doesn’t have internet
Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7