× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: EAX20 extender will not connect to Nighthawk RAX 120 Router

Caaron
Follower

EAX20 extender will not connect to Nighthawk RAX 120 Router

I recently purchased a EAX20 mesh extender and it will not maintain a connection to my Netgear RAX120 router if more than 30-40 feet away. The residence is constructed of normal building materials and there are not any bricks, concrete blocks, etc., between the router and extender. I installed the extender using the Nighthawk app and the extender and router are using the most recent firmware. The signal strength where I attempted to locate the extender is strong (approximately 90 Mbps) and a TP Link extender has worked (and is currently working) in the same location. I like the idea of a mesh network but the performance is disappointing at this time. Any assistance would be appreciated.
Message 1 of 2
plemans
Guru

Re: EAX20 extender will not connect to Nighthawk RAX 120 Router

90mbps indicates a not so great connection. Is that actual throughput or link speed? 

If throughput, is that the 2.4ghz or 5ghz connection?

What link speed does it show for each 2.4ghz and 5ghz? 

Reason I ask is many times things in the walls can impact performance. I know you said you have standard sheetrock/wood contruction but sometimes things like hvac, plumbing, foil lined insulation can cause issues. 

And 5ghz is more sensitive to materials in the way and distance than 2.4ghz. so its tough to compare 1 extender to another without more details on the other extender. 

I'd try moving it around a bit. laterally as well as closer/further away. And speedtest both the 2.4ghz and 5ghz to see how its performing. 

Firmware on the router? 

Firmware on the extender?

Message 2 of 2
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7