× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: EAX20 will not see media servers.

EAX20 will not see media servers.

I just got a replacement EAX20 because the original one would not allow devices to see media servers whether wirekessly or if cabled.
This one doess the exact same thing, none of my media servers will show up if you go through the EAX20. They do all show up if going through the main router though. Netgear support has been useless with the exception of sending me a replacement, which didn't solve anything.
Message 1 of 15

Accepted Solutions
plemans
Guru

I was looking at your network configuration a bit. 

Is your EAX20 hardwired in and running in access point mode? 

Also, if you hardwire the eax20 into the arris (maybe you've got a long cable or can just temporarily move it closer) does it work? 

View solution in original post

Message 6 of 15

All Replies
plemans
Guru

Have you set your extender with a static ip address in the arris? 

Message 2 of 15

Yes.
Message 3 of 15
plemans
Guru

what media servers are you running and what devices are you running them on? 

Message 4 of 15

Plex media server on a Synology DS220+ and a Twonky server on a WD My Cloud EX2 Ultra.
Message 5 of 15
plemans
Guru

I was looking at your network configuration a bit. 

Is your EAX20 hardwired in and running in access point mode? 

Also, if you hardwire the eax20 into the arris (maybe you've got a long cable or can just temporarily move it closer) does it work? 

Message 6 of 15

Yes, it's hardwired in and configured in access point mode. This makes no diffrence though. I've had it in extender mode connected wirelessly and it does the same thing. I can't plug it in directly to the Arris, and even if I could and it worked it wouldn't solve anything as I need it where it is located.
Message 7 of 15
plemans
Guru

I'm not saying leave it plugged into the arris permanently. I'm meaning for testing since you have a network switch that is POE capable which those devices tend to have management features. Either try moving it to where the arris is or just using a long cable. Again, its just for testing, not for permanence. 

Message 8 of 15

Well, I plugged the EAX20 directly into the Arris and low and behold everything can now access the media server. So now I know its something with the switch I'll have to fix.
Nice call, and thanks so much for all your help it is greatly appreciated.
Message 9 of 15
plemans
Guru

Glad to see it narrowed it down to something in the switch blocking. 

Sadly, that also makes it challenging as some of them have a lot of different things you can change. 

You might mark it solved since we've narrowed it down to the extender not blocking the service. 

What switch is it? 

Message 10 of 15

It's a TP-Link  TL-SG108PE.

I've been changing settings on it for hours with no success.  I just might have to get a dumb unmanaged switch to replace it.

Message 11 of 15
plemans
Guru

Without every using it, not much clue on that switch. It does have vlan capability. 

Have you tried just factory resetting the switch and running it with its default settings?

Message 12 of 15

It was running with factory defaults except for the admin password and a fixed ip.
Message 13 of 15

Well, once again you called it.  By default this switch comes with VLAN turned on and it happened to be the port where the extender was plugged into.  After disabling the VLAN feature all is good.  Thanks again for all your help, NETGEAR should be paying you for support advice.  All they ever told me was to reboot or do a factory reset on the extender, then tried to sell me premium support service.

Message 14 of 15
plemans
Guru

Glad it was a simple vlan setting!

Yeah, it'd be better if l1/l2 did a little more troubleshooting than just "reset it". 

it does work a lot of time but if they'd have tried a little more, would have saved you a lot of time

Message 15 of 15
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 14 replies
  • 9 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7