× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

EAX80 Reception Issues

drmark986
Aspirant

EAX80 Reception Issues

Has anyone with the nighthawk EAX80 Wi-Fi extender had issues where after a week or two, the signal light on the extended goes from white (perfect signal) to Amber? The speeds drop significantly. The only way to correct the issue is a factory reset. After a factory reset, signal reception and speed are back to normal. Resetting the device alone does not work. This has happened with two different devices. Leads me to believe this is a firmware issue rather than a hardware issue.

Look forward to your responses. Hopefully a firmware update is in the near future.
Message 1 of 8
marcusclaus
Guide

Re: EAX80 Reception Issues

Yes, I have the same issue with my unit. I have posted about it twice. Still no response from Netgear.

Message 2 of 8
drmark986
Aspirant

I figured I wasn’t the only one. Just a very strange software issue. I wonder if the firmware becomes corrupt some how over time?

Email support was not help at all.
Message 3 of 8
marcusclaus
Guide

Latest fw is quite dated and no info or support from netgear. Very bad of them.
Message 4 of 8
carys4
Star

I've experienced this issue with my EAX80. It is a terrible unit. If you search "EAX80 problems" in this community you will see a lot of complaints about it. I don't know if the product was rushed out without proper firmware, but it is indeed problematic. 

Message 5 of 8
chuchi2k2
Aspirant

I updated to firmware version 1.0.1.62 4 days ago and the signal light is off every time. With previous firmware the signal was on (amber, red or green) which indicated the quality of singal, but now, with the latest firmware i have not signal light. 😞

Message 6 of 8
chuchi2k2
Aspirant

Today, i have revert the firmware to v. 1.0.0.36 and the signal light is back.

I don´t know why Netgear removed the signal light from the current firmware. It´s very useful for me.At a glance i can check the quality of the signal.

Message 7 of 8
drmark986
Aspirant

I have not updated to this firmware yet. Maybe the light was an oversight? Have you tried to update to the latest firmware again and see if it still turns the light off? I’m sure they wouldn’t get rid of it since it’s part of determining the best location for the device.
Message 8 of 8
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7