× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: EAX80 extender disconnects and crashes

VenomAX
Tutor

EAX80 extender disconnects and crashes

I just purchased the AX8 Wifi Extender (EAX80) to mesh with my RAX80.  The EAX80 crashes and disconnects every hour.  Seems like a software issue.  Noted that a new firmware release hasn't happened since 10/1/19!  Is there a known workaround or fix for this?  Ready to take back or find a better Router/Mesh system to fix.

Message 1 of 8
plemans
Guru

Have you tried a reset/reinstall? 

When the firmware changes significanly, sometimes its needed after updating. And if its new, it probably went from release canadiate to production firmware. 

Message 2 of 8
VenomAX
Tutor

Yes, I did a hard reset twice on the Extender only.

Message 3 of 8
plemans
Guru

Have you tried reloading the firmware? A reset only removes settings. If the firmware was corrupt, a re-install of the firmware can sometimes help with that. 

which firmware version is the RAX on? 

Message 4 of 8
VenomAX
Tutor

Yes, I have tried reloading the firmware.  RAX just had an update Monday:

I have unplugged the EAX80 for now, running on EX8000 with no issues.

Message 5 of 8
Tofu101
Star

I've experienced nothing but issues with my EAX80 paired with an RAX200.  Persists in disconnecting itself every couple of days.  Lousy off-shore support with zero product knowledge butchering the English lanuarge while reading irrevelant troubleshooting off of triage scripts. Netgear products and support used to be top notch ... now just about everything they make is riddled with bugs and their support is abominable!

Message 6 of 8
marcusclaus
Guide

EAX80 Extender problems : 5ghz wifi drops to 54 MB and old security protocol and disconnects

Have A RAX200 and an EAX80 extender.

After installation the EAX80 works ok. I have 2 SSIDs one on 2.4 Ghz and one on 5 GHz on Ch 100 with WPA2 encryption on both wifis. Smart connect is off. One Wifi Name is on. Linkspeed from pc is 1300mbps when connected using netgear A7000 adapter, and things work well.

However, when I then change the EAX80's IP from dynamic från the RAX200's DHCP beacause I think it is conventient to have fixed IPs for the backbone infrastructure components in my network...., to a fixed IP address for the EAX80, the EAX80 goes totally crazy:

1. the 5 ghz wifi starts to drop by itself, and comes and goes...

2. when it shows up and I connect to it, it backs down to link speed 54mpbs

3. sometimes when connecting the pc reports the network supports only an old pks standard...

I do a new smart setup of the EAX80 and it is then back to ok. I try to change its IP to fixed again, and the same problems happens again. I.e. reproducable....

Message 7 of 8
carys4
Star

Same set up for me. I have the RAX80 paired with the EX8000. I wanted to replace the EX8000 with the EAX80 but it performs really terribly so I turned it off and sticking with the EX8000 for now. How disappointing that Netgear would release the EAX80 with so many complaints and issues. 

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7