× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

EX 6200 as ethernet wired access point

RobinB
Initiate

EX 6200 as ethernet wired access point

I have purchased an EX 6200 to use as a wired WiFi access point.

Before I did this I called Netgear Support to make sure it supported this type of operation. I was assured it did. I was very clear about how I wanted to set it up.

Now that I have the unit there appears to be no way to set it up in this configuration. Can anyone help, or am I wasting my time trying.

Message 1 of 16
nhann
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: EX 6200 as ethernet wired access point

Hi RobinB,

The EX6200 does not support AP mode to wire to your router.

How would you like to set up your network?

Message 2 of 16
RobinB
Initiate

I fell a bit foolish really, it does work as an A/P.

I plugged the EX6200 into my router in one of the 5 ports and my PC into another and then turned the EX6200 on. I opened IE and it went straight to the EX6200 set up page.

It had a quick look at how it was connected and up popped two boxes "EXT" and "AP". I ticked AP and then went on to set up SSID, encryption, passwords etc...

Works well

Thanks

Message 3 of 16
nhann
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Sorry for the confusion. Glad you got it working!

Message 4 of 16
jpmerron
Aspirant

I am using the EX 6200 as a wired access point but it seems devices connected to the EX 6200 access point cannot communicate with devices connected directly to the router - even though they are on the same subnet?

For example if I ping a device on connected to the router (on ip address 192.168.1.12) from my macbook connected to the EX 6200 (on ip address 192.168.1.45) there is no reply. But it works OK if I connect the macbook to the router's wireless newtork (on ip address 192.168.1.45 ).

Have you seen this issue?

I am running Firmware Version V1.0.1.60_1.1.98.

There is a later version but when I installed it the GUI was different and I couldn't see an option for Access Point(Wired) so I down graded again.

Any help would be appreciated.

Message 5 of 16
nhann
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi jpmerron,

Which router is connected to the EX6200?

You may have Wireless Isolation enable. Please disable this. For an example, the NETGEAR WNDR3400v3, under Advanced < Setup < Wireless Setup, disable Wireless Isolation

You can try to temporarily disable your firewall and ping again.

Message 6 of 16
jpmerron
Aspirant

Thanks for the prompt response

The router is a Livebox 2 - supplied by Orange France.

This is the Advanced Wireless Setup screen

EX6200 settings 1.png

I don't see any option for Wireless Isolation - but it sounds like a good possibility if there is such a setting

Thanks

Message 7 of 16
nhann
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Please try configuring your antivirus firewall and let us know how it works for you.

Message 8 of 16
jpmerron
Aspirant

I don't think it is a firewall issue - the problem I am having is communications between devices that are all behind the router firewall  - and there is no firewall in the EX 6200 Access Point.

The problem seems to be with the interface between the AP and the router.

It is strange how a device connected to the AP can access the internet but cannot communicate with a device on the same network segment as the default gateway. 

Message 9 of 16
nhann
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi jpmerron,

Please note in your screenshot that you are not on the latest firmware. Update to latest firmware v1.0.3.68_1.1.104

Also perform a factory reset to defaults after updating your firmware.

1. Insert a straightened paper clip into the hole of the Restore Factory Settings button and hold it for about seven seconds
  2. Release the button. The extender resets and restarts. This process takes about one minute

Setup the EX6200 and select AP mode.

When on your computer that is connected to the extender, do a trace route to a device connected to the router and see if you can see when/where the communication fails.

Message 10 of 16
jpmerron
Aspirant

Yes, I am aware I am not on the latest firmware. As I stated in my post on October 30th with regard to the latest firmware " I installed it the GUI was different and I couldn't see an option for Access Point(Wired) so I down graded again."

If anyone can tell me how to select Access POint(Wired) in the latest software I will gladly install it

Thanks

Message 11 of 16
nhann
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Yes, I understand.

Please update to latest firmware, then reset to factory defaults.

Then when logging into mywifiext.net and creating login credentials, you will see this page:

Capture.PNG

Message 12 of 16
Juancho
Aspirant

Hi,could you walk me step by step to do set up the ex6200  as an acces point please.

Message 13 of 16
nhann
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi Juancho,

We will first start by resetting to Facotry defaults.

Then set up the EX6200 as an extender (IF you are not on firmware 1.0.3.68_1.1.104 then you will not necessarily have the Access Point option yet).

Then update to the latest firmware and reset the EX6200 back to defaults. Then setup the EX6200 as an Access Point

Let's start with a factory reset on your EX6200.

1. Power on your EX6200.
  2. Insert a straightened paper clip into the hole of the Restore Factory Settings button and hold it for about seven seconds
  3. Release the button. The extender resets and restarts. This process takes about one minute

Now on your computer, connect to the EX6200's WiFi network ----> "NETGEAR_EXT"

Disconnect your computer from any other Internet networks

(for example: if you have an ethernet cord connecting your computer to the Router, disconnect this ethernet cord)

Then on your computer, open up a Web Browser and go to mywifiext.net or 192.168.1.250

Set up your network.

Once setup is complete, connect to your new Extender WiFi network.

(For example: the router network name is MYHOME, then your Extender network name may be MYHOME_EXT)

Now go back to mywifiext.net and update your firmware.

See page 80 of 124:

http://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/EX6200/EX6200_UM_09Jan2015.pdf

You have the option of Automatic Update or Manual Update.

Once the update is complete, Factory Reset your EX6200 again. Then on the new setup screen you will see:

original.png

Message 14 of 16
Juancho
Aspirant

Thanks  a lot,did it,install the last firmware,but is slowed down the signal ,so I rollback to the one before,and wait for a fix , again thanks  for your help.one question why do we have to do the hard reset?when downgrade or update,thanks.

Message 15 of 16
nhann
NETGEAR Employee Retired

The hard reset after the downgrade/update is just to clear out any possible faulty changes to the settings.

Message 16 of 16
Discussion stats
  • 15 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7