× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

EX 8000 extender loses wifi connection and support was odd

Diersm
Aspirant

EX 8000 extender loses wifi connection and support was odd

We bought an EX8000 to extend a system that has a Comcast router to an Apple Airport. It worked fine for a couple of weeks. Then we had a series of 1-2 second power outages that shut down the internet and TV (nothing else odly) The Extender lost it's connection. Nothing I did fixed the problem and finaly had to reinstall as a new unit. The quick outage happened again today with the same results. This time I contacted Netgear support to see if there was some other way to reconnect rather than doing a new install. I talked to someone in support that spoke with a very thick accent and who was in a room with a lot of loud talking. Both made it hard to understand. Finaly he wanted to look at my settings to see if he could fix it. I've done this before with companies I know and I thought Netgear was reputable. He looked at things that made me a bit uneasy then said my system had been hacked by some people in Texas and Mexico. I askeed how he knew that and was told he had a program that could tell where they were from. After some questioning, he said he could fix it. Was this going to cost me? Yes. How much? $500! I told him no way, it was not that important on my computer. Then, he hung up on me. So... 2 questions. Did I get spoofed somehow? And how do I reconect the internet to the extender without having to install it as new?

Message 1 of 6
plemans
Guru

Re: EX 8000 extender loses wifi connection and support was odd

yes, I'd bet you got taken in. 

Netgear support makes you setup a support ticket online before you can contact them. if you're outside of your free 90 days of support, it does cost but not that much. And they only support their systems.

In terms of your extender, power outages can quite easily corrupt firmware and cause issues. A reliable UPS might be a good purchase for you. the extender shouldn't be forgetting the settings but stranger things have happened during power outages. 

Message 2 of 6
Diersm
Aspirant

Pretty blatent since I went to their web site, support and contact. The web site is obviously written by someone for whom English is not thier first language. But since this is a world wide company, I get it.  I think I am aware of these spam things and was pretty mad at myself for letting them in. God knows what else is going to happen. My malware program did not find anything. I do have the Extender plugged into a surge protector, but a UPS back up might be a good idea. I only bought this about 2 weeks ago. So 90 days is not past.

Message 3 of 6
Christian_R
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello Diersm - Were you able to get in contact with support? If not, please let me know and I can assist. 

~Christian 

Message 4 of 6
Diersm
Aspirant

Seems, the only way to get it to work is to re-install as a new unit. Their F&Q does not help and support is bad. The unit itself is OK when it is on. Other than that, this is a sub par company support wise. I am not stupid, but not a tech head. I am assuming I got spoofed with a pop up on their web site poseing as an online chat. Not sure I want to trust the support at this point.

Message 5 of 6
Christian_R
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi Diersm - For future reference, you may contact support using the following link:

https://www.netgear.com/support/default.aspx

~Christian 

Message 6 of 6
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7