× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: EX2700 OR EX3700 AS ACCESS POINT

talljr1
Aspirant

EX2700 OR EX3700 AS ACCESS POINT

Can I hardwire the 2700/3700 to an ATT Uverse Modem/Router? I have tried other extenders and they seem to be unreliable (dropping connection for example). I was thinking that hardwiring would make it more reliable and still boost my wireless network signal. I am assuming the SSID would be the same as my current wireless network, correct?

Any information would be much appreciated!

Model: EX3700|N600 WiFi Range Extender
Message 1 of 5
TheEther
Guru

You cannot hardwire the EX2700 to a router.

You can hardwire the EX3700 to a router.

Hardwiring is definitely more reliable and efficient.  There isn't the 50% speed penalty normally experienced with wireless range extenders.

The SSID can be the same or different.

Message 2 of 5
talljr1
Aspirant

Thank you very much and just so I am clear, this is how it will work.

I can run an ethernet cable from my UVERSE Router/Modem to the EX3700. The Uverse unit will still have WIFI via my current SSID. When I setup the EX3700, I can name that WIFI SSID the same name, correct? That way, when I move between the zones or access points, it will pick up the strongest signal. 

Message 3 of 5
talljr1
Aspirant

I'm glad I read the reviews on Newegg to discover the Ethernet port is not a 1GB port. Not really worth it to run a hard line to my router if I am only getting 100mb.

Message 4 of 5
TheEther
Guru

@talljr1 wrote:

Thank you very much and just so I am clear, this is how it will work.

I can run an ethernet cable from my UVERSE Router/Modem to the EX3700. The Uverse unit will still have WIFI via my current SSID. When I setup the EX3700, I can name that WIFI SSID the same name, correct?

Correct.

That way, when I move between the zones or access points, it will pick up the strongest signal. 

WRT Netgear router and range extenders, that is up to the device to decide.  

Apple iOS devices can use 802.11k, 802.11r and 802.11v to coordinate roaming based on information provided by the network (link), but AFAIK, Netgear routers do not support these protocols.  In the absence of this support, iPhones are notorious for not roaming to the strongest signal (see here for a description for iOS's roaming behavior).  It's my understanding that Apple Airport Express routers do support these protocols.  I heard that some Linksys routers now support it.

On OSX, you can adjust the roaming behavior via the command line (see here).

On Windows, any roaming behavior would be up to the Wi-Fi driver.  Not all drivers have options to control roaming.

Message 5 of 5
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7