× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

EX2700 naming of networks

lperlman
Novice

EX2700 naming of networks

This is a newbie question. I am adding 2 EX2700 extenders to my home network. Can I name the "network name" for the extenders the same as the original router's network, or does it have to be called "name_EXT"?
It seems like the point of extending the network is so devices will automatically connect to one network and grab signal from the strongest. Will I have to manually connect to the extenders' network as I move throughout my home?
Thanks.

Message 1 of 3
Tlaw
Aspirant

Re: EX2700 naming of networks

I have the exact same question. But also would like to know if I need to remove the original network name and only use the _ext network for everything? They seem to be competing with each other on my devices, thus keeping them from connecting at all.
Message 2 of 3
Babylon5
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: EX2700 naming of networks

WiFi networks don’t compete with each other to ‘attract’ client devices, it is the client devices which initiate connections to the WLAN. Many client devices will have an option to change the way they switch from one Access Point to another, may be called something like ‘Roaming Aggressiveness’, you can set this to a value that would reduce or eliminate the clients ability to change APs. This function will normally work regardless of whether the network names are the same or different, networks are distinguished from each other in other ways, e.g. the MAC address of the AP.

http://www.intel.com/support/wireless/wlan/sb/CS-030101.htm
Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7