× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: EX2700

MikeFriese
Aspirant

EX2700

I received a email update for security firmware update on 12/31/20. However I was unable to try to download and install the update until today. When I try to download it from the email link I get a message that the link has expired.So I opened the Netgear download page & found what I think is the latest download update for my EX2700 Extender. However, when I download it, and try to open the download file, I get a message that the file is corrupted. So any suggestions about what I should do?

Message 1 of 16

Accepted Solutions
plemans
Guru

The router assigns an IP address to the extender once its connected. So it won't have the default ip address. 

Log into your router and find its attached devices page (or equivelent) and it should show the ip address for the devices connected. That'll have the IP address for the extender

View solution in original post

Message 11 of 16

All Replies
plemans
Guru

What actual firmware version is the extender on? 

You might be current and not need to update. 

FYI, many try to open the file to install it.

Once downloaded, right click on it to extract it. Once extracted then you log into the extender, go to firmware update in the settings, find "upload file" click on "browse" and the locate the file you extracted. 

Message 2 of 16

Message 3 of 16
plemans
Guru

There's actually a video walk through on the support site for the EX2700. 

https://www.netgear.com/support/product/ex2700.aspx

Might be easier to use than the router guide 🙂 

Message 4 of 16

@plemans wrote:

There's actually a video walk through on the support site for the EX2700. 

https://www.netgear.com/support/product/ex2700.aspx

Might be easier to use than the router guide 🙂 

Good one.

I did look for an easy guide, but hadn't spotted that. Just like Netgear to bury useful help.

Click here!

Message 5 of 16
MikeFriese
Aspirant

I can't log in to my extender despite I'm connected to the extender's Wi-Fi network. Tried logging in via the extender's default IP address but still wouldn't connect. Saw the installation Video-no help. Any any other suggestions?

Message 6 of 16
MikeFriese
Aspirant

I have no idea of what firmware version the extender is on no the model. Since it is serving it's pupose for me with no problems, I guess I'll give up trying to do the udpate. Certainly not impressed with Netgear.

Message 7 of 16
MikeFriese
Aspirant

My update problem is not with a router but with an extender

Message 8 of 16
MikeFriese
Aspirant

I can't log in to my extender despite I'm connected to the extender's Wi-Fi network. Tried logging in via the extender's default IP address but still wouldn't connect. Saw the installation Video-no help. Any any other suggestions?

Message 9 of 16
MikeFriese
Aspirant

Can't log in to my extender despite I'm connected to the extender's Wi-Fi network. Tried logging in via the extender's default IP address but still won't connect. Saw the installation Video-no help. Other suggestions?

Message 10 of 16
plemans
Guru

The router assigns an IP address to the extender once its connected. So it won't have the default ip address. 

Log into your router and find its attached devices page (or equivelent) and it should show the ip address for the devices connected. That'll have the IP address for the extender

Message 11 of 16
MikeFriese
Aspirant

I finally got into my router but I can't find anywhere for the extender IP address. Now I can't even get logged out of my router website-Arris/Motorola. I am an obvious novice. So thank you for your help. I don't know what else to do but give up.

Message 12 of 16
MikeFriese
Aspirant

I finally figured out my extener's IP address. Why must it be so difficult. After that I got into the Netgear extender & hunted & hunted & hunted, but had no luck until I got out & went back in. Then I got some different screens that finally led me to firmware updates. I tried the logical one to find the latest by searching the internet. After 15 minutes of no results, I tried the download alternative. It wanted to know the file I had previously downloaded thanks to your advice, and wanted to do an upload? I sure didn't understand that, but went along with it. After a few minutes of watching the function reach 100% I clicked on what I thought was going to complete the process. Instead I got taken back to the login screen. So I logged in again, and restarted the process only to be told that I had been updated successfully! So I went and checked the extender & it seems to be working OK. WHY WHY WHY must Netgear make so impossibly difficult? Anyway thank you for your help. Mike

Message 13 of 16

@MikeFriese wrote:

My update problem is not with a router but with an extender

The approach is the same.

Message 14 of 16

@MikeFriese wrote:

I finally figured out my extener's IP address. Why must it be so difficult.

It is pretty easy once you understand what happens.

As @plemans says, the extender will get its own IP address from your router. (That's what the router is for.) When you know what that IP address is, you just feed it into a browser. And away you go.

There are many ways of finding the IP address of things on your network. The most obvious is the router's list of connected devices.

I like using the Netgear desktop genie for Windows. (There is also a Mac version.) This has a nifty Network Map that instantly shows the IP address of any device on the network. Unfortunately, Netgear is doing its best to kill the desktop genie and has made it hard to find.

After some digging, I managed to find this:

genie | Product | Support | NETGEAR

It is strange in that it is wrapped up in a RAR file rather than the usual ZIP.

To make life easier you can give your extender a "reserved address" in your router. Then you will always be able to use that IP address to get into the extender.

Message 15 of 16
MikeFriese
Aspirant

Thanks! I fumbled around in the Netgear extender until I finally got it to install the update. I spent several hours on what should have been a simple function. This is my 2nd go around with Netgear (last time was a modem/router). Neither experience has been easy.

Message 16 of 16
Discussion stats
  • 15 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7