× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

EX2800 wifi roaming

IanTheTerrible
Aspirant

EX2800 wifi roaming

Well this doesn't bode well: my range extender's model is not recognized by the Model drop-down.

So I have a model EX2800 range extender and I'm wondering about seamless roaming: can I give both this extender's bands the same name as my router's network (both my router's bands are already unified under one network name) so that my iPhone will choose the best connection point and frequency automagically as I move around my apartment? Or will my phone do that regardless of the network names if I have the credentials for all the relevant networks stored in my phone's network prefs?

And a related question: once I've set up the extender, how to I get into its settings? I can't seem to do it by connecting to the extender's network and trying to get to 192.168.1.250.

Thank you.

Message 1 of 3
IanTheTerrible
Aspirant

Re: EX2800 wifi roaming

Never mind. Netgear products are just too unpredictable, unreliable, unintuitive and user-hostile for my tastes. I'm just going to send this piece of junk back where I got it from. Thanks anyway.

Message 2 of 3

Re: EX2800 wifi roaming

@IanTheTerrible wrote:

Well this doesn't bode well: my range extender's model is not recognized by the Model drop-down.

That can happen when you start in the wrong place. The choice of options is sensitive to the location.

You have posted your message in the section of this community given over to Nighthawk WiFi Routers. (This is easily done, given Netgear's complicated community structure.)

Many questions apply to different types of device, so you might get responses here, but you might get more help, and find earlier questions and answers specific to your hardware, in the appropriate section for your device. That's probably here:

WiFi Range Extenders & Nighthawk Mesh - NETGEAR Communities

@IanTheTerrible wrote:

So I have a model EX2800 range extender and I'm wondering about seamless roaming: can I give both this extender's bands the same name as my router's network (both my router's bands are already unified under one network name) so that my iPhone will choose the best connection point and frequency automagically as I move around my apartment?

You won't get true "seamless roaming", whatever you mean  by it, with a bog-standard range extender. For that need you need a Mesh network.

@IanTheTerrible wrote:

And a related question: once I've set up the extender, how to I get into its settings? I can't seem to do it by connecting to the extender's network and trying to get to 192.168.1.250.

You seem to be flailing around a bit.

Visit the support pages:

Support | NETGEAR

Feed in your model number and check the documentation for your hardware.

Check the manual.

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7