× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

EX3700 Range Extender Email re: Firmware Update

rosebudoh
Aspirant

EX3700 Range Extender Email re: Firmware Update

I am inquiring if it is Netgear’s regular practice to send out emails to registered users regarding firmware updates. I received 2 over the course a 2 months and took action on the latest one only to realize that it might be leading me to trouble. I’ve spoken with others that indicate such an email is not the norm. They’ve always received firmware notices on the device requiring it. Has anyone in this community received such emails and, if so, do you act in them or ignore. Looking for some direction or consensus of thoughts. Thanks for any info you can provide.
Model: EX3700|AC750 WiFi Range Extender Essentials Edition
Message 1 of 3

Accepted Solutions
plemans
Guru

Re: EX3700 Range Extender Email re: Firmware Update

I've gotten them before. It tends to go in waves. we even see it on the forums as when the emails go out we see more posts on here with issues updating. 

They are legit. 

You don't have to update if you don't want to though. 

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 3

All Replies
plemans
Guru

I've gotten them before. It tends to go in waves. we even see it on the forums as when the emails go out we see more posts on here with issues updating. 

They are legit. 

You don't have to update if you don't want to though. 

Message 2 of 3
rosebudoh
Aspirant

Thank you for the quick response. It stil is frustrating that these emails direct you to information that can lead one down fraudulent avenues.  As a result of troubleshooting why I could not connect to my range extender to do the firmware update, I ended up in online chat that resulted in a technician contacting me and then logging into my computer, identifying some major issues ( which now I doubt were really issues) and applying changes to my system that I subsequently was very concerned about after reading others on this forum explaining the same scam.  This is leading me to completely swith

out all my Netgear equipment for devices more reputable.

Model: EX3700|AC750 WiFi Range Extender Essentials Edition
Message 3 of 3
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7