× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

EX3700 WPS LED Off

Tom768
Follower

EX3700 WPS LED Off

I setup the EX3700 two different ways - WPS and then later using the web browser (in order that  could connect to my guest network). I have WPA/WPA2 enabled on my router. The EX3700 WPS LED will blink during setup but, regardless of the manner in which I do the setup, the WPS LED is off after the setup is complete. The web browser indicates that WPA/WPA2 security is enabled but according to the manual WIFI security is not enabled if the WPS LED is off. Do I just have a bad unit or is there something other than what is described in the Quick Start manual which I need to do to get the WPS LED on and ensure that security is enabled.

Thanks for any help.

Model: EX3700|AC750 WiFi Range Extender Essentials Edition
Message 1 of 4
DexterJB
NETGEAR Moderator

Re: EX3700 WPS LED Off

Hi @Tom768, the WPS LED will only light up for a short period of time when activated/pressed (for 2 seconds). The extender web UI should indicate the correct security settings for it (which it does in your case).

Dexter

Message 2 of 4
Bigzig
Aspirant

I have had the same problem, I spent 30 minutes yesterday with tech support and the WPS light did not come on. I was told the product was defective and to get a replacement. I received my replacement today and went through the set up and the WPS light still is not on. The only time it will blink if you do a WPS set up. I have spent too much time on this issue.
Message 3 of 4
Astroboy86
Star

Has this problem ever been satisfactorily resolved?  I just purchased and installed an EX3700 to replace my 5-year-old EX2700, as I now need to extend the 5GHz range on my wi-fi router.  The router is an Apple AirPort Extreme 4th Gen., so I cannot use the WPS button for quick setup.  I went through the manual setup process, updated to the most current firmware (V1.0.088-1.0.58), and was surprised to see that the WPS LED on the extender unit never illuminates.  I first tried letting it use the same password as the router, but also tried setting a different password using WPA2-PSK [AES] on both 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz.  The WPS LED remains off in all cases.

Page 5 of the Quick Start manual clearly states that the WPS LED should illuminate solid green when WiFi security is enabled, blink green while WPS connection is being established, and remain off only when WiFi security is not enabled.  This is the behavior I've always observed on the EX2700—the Power, WPS, Router, and Device LEDs are all solid green at all times.  The wireless network manager on a Windows machine reports "Security: WPA2-Personal" for the EX3700, so the encryption does seem to be functioning properly, but it still bothers me that the EX3700 does not properly display the WPS indicator during normal operation.  Since this issue was reported to Netgear at least as far back as April 2020, I would have expected to see it corrected via firmware update long before now.

Can Netgear provide status on this issue?  Is there any intent to ever modify the firmware for proper operation of the WPS LED?  Thanks.

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7