× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

EX3700 WiFi Range Extender renamed, how can we get rid of the old wifi network names?

SBR6880
Aspirant

EX3700 WiFi Range Extender renamed, how can we get rid of the old wifi network names?

We had to rename our wifi, which then renamed our extenders.  I would like to get rid of the old wifi extender names that keep showing up on my devices.  How can I delete the old network names that are no longer in use??? I know how to "Forget Network", but I would like the name gone completely.  Thank you in advance!

Model: EX3700|AC750 WiFi Range Extender Essentials Edition
Message 1 of 6
plemans
Guru

Re: EX3700 WiFi Range Extender renamed, how can we get rid of the old wifi network names?

When you say "they keep showing up" and "I know how to forget networks but I want them completely gone". More details are needed.

Forgetting the network does erase the settings that have been saved for that network. Are you saying that after you forget them, its still showing up? And is it showing up under a wireless scan or just staying in the saved networks?

Also, what devices are you using? andoid, ios, macos, windows. 

Message 2 of 6
SBR6880
Aspirant

Re: EX3700 WiFi Range Extender renamed, how can we get rid of the old wifi network names?

I apologize, to be clear, we are mainly using iOS devices (ex. iPhones, iPads) as well as Windows 10 laptops. The “old” WiFi extender names keep showing up even after we “forget them” on our devices. Xfinity changed the name to our WiFi, which then changed the name to our NETGEAR extenders. So now, we have 4 showing up, 2 that work, and 2 that do not (because we have 2.4 and 5 for both the old and new named extenders). I hope this makes more sense? To add more, later this week we are going to get Orbi to hopefully get rid of extenders but I’m hoping this doesn’t add a 5th name to the list! I’m so confused and frustrated. I just want the 2 old network names that show up to be deleted. Thank you!!
Message 3 of 6
plemans
Guru

Again, showing up when you do a wireless scan or under your saved networks? 

I'm not on IOS so I can't look that up. But if you're doing an active scan and they're showing as broadcasting, I'd be betting on Xfinity messing something up when they redid your setup. 

Message 4 of 6
SBR6880
Aspirant

When I go into WiFi settings, my old NETGEAR extenders show up. I don’t believe into has anything to do with Xfinity though.
Message 5 of 6
plemans
Guru

Why don't you take a screen shot of it? 

And you potentially have 4 wifi names with extenders. these would be:

1. Router 2.4ghz

2. router 5ghz

3. extender 2.4ghz

4. extender 5ghz

Message 6 of 6
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements