× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

EX3700 WiFi Range Extender

Bronxii
Aspirant

EX3700 WiFi Range Extender

So I recently bought the EX3700 WiFi Range Extender. Simply to boost the single upstairs in my house. I have connected it to the devices I wanted to, and no issues whatsoever. Now when connecting to my firestick, the Internet connection only lasts for about 2 minutes before the fire stick notifies us of no internet connection.

But then it’ll go and say that it has very good WiFi connection. So I’m confused at this point on how to proceed, because the firestick is what’s the problem compared to my other devices.
Model: EX3700|AC750 WiFi Range Extender Essentials Edition
Message 1 of 4
plemans
Guru

Re: EX3700 WiFi Range Extender

Some details that can help us out.

Which fire stick is it? reason I ask is first generation fire stick was close to worthless. Plus you're screen makes it seem like a fire tv?

If you directly connect a pc/laptop to the extender and speedtest it, what do you get?

are you using fastlane?

What router are you connected to?

Firmware the extender's on?

Message 2 of 4
Bronxii
Aspirant

It’s the most recent firestick available on Amazon. The TV is of rca brand, I have this app downloaded onto the firestick that tests the Internet speed and when I did do that for the extender, it wasn’t picking up any WiFi. And as for the fastlane? I have no idea what that is?
The router that I am connected to, is the one provided to me by Spectrum. As for the Firmware the extender's on? I’m at a lost in that subject too. I’m sorry, I’m not tech savvy so I’m kind of useless.
Model: EX3700|AC750 WiFi Range Extender Essentials Edition
Message 3 of 4
plemans
Guru

It makes it a little more challenging 🙂 Wifi extenders can be a little finky in operation if you don't understand all thats going on.

First you have to make sure they're placed in a good enough location to get a good signal from the router. if its to far away, its connection back to router is bad. Your fire stick could be connected to the extender with a great signal but because the extenders connection back to the router isn't good, it shows as down. Another thing that can cause issues with extenders is having a lot of wifi interference. You have to make sure you're on a good wifi channel or the wifi will drop a lot.

So your first goal is to make sure the extender's connection back to the router is good.

Easiest way to do this? connect a laptop to the extender via the ethernet cord and speedtest it. Try several different locations to best optimize how it works. If you're to far away it'll be slow/drop.  If you're to close to the router, your speeds will be great but you'll lose the whole point of the extender. 

So do some testing with that to make sure you've got it placed right. Sometimes even such a little thing as moving a single outlet over can help as it potentially could remove an in-wall hvac duct from blocking the signal. 

https://kb.netgear.com/25508/Where-should-I-place-my-NETGEAR-Wi-Fi-range-extender

Fastlane is Netgear taking 1 of the 2 radios in the extender and dedicating it to talking just to the router. The other radio is used for communication with your wireless devices. It can help speed and reduce latency in some cases. 

https://kb.netgear.com/24662/What-is-FastLane-Technology-and-how-do-I-configure-it

if you're firestick is a generation 1 stick, they weren't a very good streaming in the 1st place. Generation 2 helped quite a bit. 

Another thing to keep in mind is that 5ghz wireless networks are much faster but don't broadcast as far or through as much. If the signal is good on 5ghz, use that band as its significantly faster. 

You can find firmware on your extenders settings page. Firmware is the software that's running the extender. It gets updated/optimized for bugs or problems. its always good to check to make sure its current. 

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7