× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

EX3700 problems

bullfrogreal
Aspirant

EX3700 problems

Hi

I've bought an EX3700 to extend my home wifi coverage.

What I'm experiencing: some devices connect to the extender but cannot access internet while others, still connected to the extender, can get on internet without any issue.

From my tests, here's a quick summary:

- devices that cannot go online through the extender (but all work fine when connected to the router directly): Nexus 5, Motorola moto turbo, Samsung Galaxy A3.

- devices that can go online just fine: HP Omen laptop, Chromebook HP 14, Samsung phone (sorry, don't know the model).

- what I tried: factory reset, turning wifi security off, setting extender IP manually, various reboots of router, extender, clients. Nothing worked.

- what I noticed: setting up IP/netmask/gateway/DNS manually on the Motorola phone fixed the problem. Didn't try on other phones but I guess that would also be the case.

Firmware on the EX3700: V1.0.0.58_1.0.38

Would love to find a solution as this is not an ideal situation (this is for my parent's house in Italy... I live in Singapore and I'm the only one "tech savvy" enough to manually setup their phones).

Thank you!

Model: EX3700|N600 WiFi Range Extender
Message 1 of 3
TheEther
Guru

Re: EX3700 problems

It sounds like DHCP isn't working on the problematic devices.  Do you have MAC address access control enabled on the main router?  If yes, the extender changes the MAC address of each device connected through it.  The router won't recognize the device and will not give it an IP address.

To fix this, you'll have to add the modified MAC addresses to the whitelist on the router.

Message 2 of 3
bullfrogreal
Aspirant

Re: EX3700 problems

Very good point but there's no MAC ACL enabled on the router. Any device is allowed to connect independently from the MAC address.

But thanks for the suggestion!

Message 3 of 3
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7