× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

EX3800 Speed in Access Point mode

SpiDybot
Follower

EX3800 Speed in Access Point mode

Using an EX3800 as access point, cabled directly to my Fiberbox. Latest firmware, 2 meters from antenna to pc.

When chekcing speed by connecting the Cat5e cable to the pc I get 205 mbit.

When plugging the cable into the EX3800 and connecting by wifi I get ~40 mbit on 2.4 ghz and ~80 on 5 ghz.

Channel selected is not used by others nearby, no obvious disturbing devices near either.

The drop however seem way too big. Any suggestions?

Message 1 of 2
plemans
Guru

Re: EX3800 Speed in Access Point mode

@SpiDybot wrote:

When chekcing speed by connecting the Cat5e cable to the pc I get 205 mbit.

When plugging the cable into the EX3800 and connecting by wifi I get ~40 mbit on 2.4 ghz and ~80 on 5 ghz.

the downfall of wireless extenders is that that have to receive and retransmit. so it cuts that bandwidth roughly in half and increases latency. 

2.4ghz also is inherently slower than 5ghz. so if you're router is only maxing out the 2.4ghz at 60-100mbps than the 40mbps that you're seeing is appropriate. Same with the 5ghz. You're hitting 205mbps over 5ghz while hardwired in. 80mbps is a little lower than half but there might be a little more overhead or your router not quite going that fast for that test. 

You can avoid some of that lose by using fastlane setup which reserves one of the bands just for router----extender communication. The tri-band extenders use the 3rd band just for this case. 

Again, this is the downfall of all extenders. they work great for increasing the range that a wireless network can cover but at the expense of bandwidth and latency. 

Message 2 of 2
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7