× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: EX3800 Wireless Bridge No DHCP

computeronix
Apprentice

EX3800 Wireless Bridge No DHCP

I just picked up an EX3800.  If I connect it to my netgear network that is wirelessly bridged, it will no retrieve a DHCP IP and also the router cannot successfully connect to the internet.

If I connect the EX3800 directly to the main wireless router, it works fine.

My setup

Main Wireless Router - Nighthawk X10

Secondary - Netgear R7000

R7000 is configured to connect to the X10 as a wireless bridge.  Then all my LAN devices that are connected to the R7000 retrive a DHCP IP address from the main router through the R7000.

When I connect the EX3800 to the R7000 LAN it fails to pull a DHCP and it fails to have a reliable Internet connection.

If I connect the EX3800 to the X10, it works fine and its stable

Model: EX3800|N750 WiFi Range Extender with Passthrough
Message 1 of 3
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Are you not able to connect the extender to the main router for what you are trying to set up in your home?

DarrenM

Message 2 of 3
computeronix
Apprentice

I ended up returning this product as it was not going to do what I needed it to do.  But definitetly something not working it right when attempting to do the following scenario.

First, yes when I connected the product to the main netgear nighthawk router at home it was able to configure and work properly.

My setup is as follows as home

I have a netgear cable modem -> netgear nighthawk router

then in my basement where I get decent wireless signal -> a netgear nighthawk router in wireless bridge mode that connects to the upstairs router over wireless.

Then I have wired devices connected off this router and the speeds are very good 500mbps or higher 🙂  (not as good if I just paid to have an ethernet cable put in).

If I plug the EX3800 into the basement nighthawk router, it fails to connect and configure everytime.   Even if I configure it upstairs then bring it downstairs, it works for about one minute or two and then stops working.

Definitely something in the software as basically making an EX3800 an access point at this point "should work" regardless of the wireless bridge connecting usptairs.

My goal was to create a unique wireless network downstairs for Airplay / Chrome Cast / miracast to work much faster than trying to pass the wireless signals back usptairs and downstairs which cause lots of delays today utilizing those technologies with the current setup.

Model: EX3800|N750 WiFi Range Extender with Passthrough
Message 3 of 3
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7