× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

EX6100 Range Extender internet dropouts

eljeff
Aspirant

EX6100 Range Extender internet dropouts

Hope someone can help me here.

I have an EX6100 range extender connected via wifi to a D6200 modem router. There are 3 wifi devices, all in the same room, connected to the extender and 2 of these work perfectly. The 3rd, a Macbook Pro, has a good wifi connection to the extender but continually drops the internet connection. The only way I've found to re-instate the internet connection is to change the network preferences option from Automatic to Wireless, then the internet connection is re-instated almost immediately but if I want to navigate to another web page then the connection seems to hang and I again need to change the network preference from Wireless back to Automatic. And so it goes continuing to toggle between Automatic and Wireless each time I change pages on a website.

This happens with both the 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz networks.

I have the latest versions of firmware for both modem/router and extender, I have reset the factory settings on the extender and set up the extender network from scratch with the help of Netgear Customer Support but the problem is still there. It would appear that the problem is somewhere in the settings on the Macbook, but where, I have no idea. All the network settings appear the same as the other 2 devices that are working. Customer support were not willing to offer any further assistance because they said the problem was with a third party product.

The Macbook is running Yosemite 10.10.5 and this problem does not occur when I am connected to the main Modem/router, only the extender. Unfortunately I cannot move the modem/router due to cabling restrictions.

Any suggestions on where to look would be appreciated.

Thanks

Jeff

Message 1 of 4
nhann
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: EX6100 Range Extender internet dropouts

Please try "forgetting" the network on your Macbook.

Click the Wi-Fi menu icon and choose “Open Network Preferences”, or go to the “Network” preference pane from Apple menu and System Preferences

Select “Wi-Fi” from the network panel sidebar, then click the “Advanced” button in the corner

Go to “Wi-Fi” tab and find the router/network to forget under the “Preferred Networks” list

Select the network and then choose the [-] minus button to remove (forget) the wireless network

Then reconnect to your extender's network. This should reconfigure your Mac's preferences for the extender network.

Message 2 of 4
eljeff
Aspirant

Thanks nhann

I did everything you suggested and it worked fine for about 5 minutes then went back to the same problem. I then tried deleting all of the networks that were listed. This again worked for about 5 minutes and now I am with the same problem.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks

Jeff 

Message 3 of 4
nhann
NETGEAR Employee Retired

It could be an issue with one of your settings on your Mac, since your other computers aren't having the issue.

Please try posting your question on the apple discussion board.

Please also see the Wireless troubleshooting page:
https://www.apple.com/support/macbookpro/wifi/

Message 4 of 4
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7