× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

EX6100 connects to Network, but not to Internet

scottzxc
Aspirant

EX6100 connects to Network, but not to Internet

I was able to connect my EX6100 to my 'remote' computer that had Windows 8.1, for long enough to download Windows 10. After installing Windows 10, I can connect the computer to my network, but get no internet connection.  I have updated the EX6100 with the latest firmware, and rebooted it. I can open the EX6100 setup page (which confirms I am connected to the network) and have tried re-installing via the setup wizard, and via the WPS.  But still no internet?  Any idea why? Thanks

Message 1 of 7
nhann
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: EX6100 connects to Network, but not to Internet

Hi @scottzxc,

Are you able to connect to the EX6100 with any other device/computer?

If the extender network was working when you had Windows 8.1, but not after Windows 10, it's possible that the computer needs to update/reinstall its wireless and network drivers.

Message 2 of 7
scottzxc
Aspirant

Thanks for your reply.

Normally I can connect to the internet on my tablet via the EX6100.  But not today for some reason tho I can open mywifiext on the tablet, so it is making some connection. Mywifiext status says I have a strong connection.

All lights are green on the EX6100.

My 'remote' desktop computer's internet connection diagnostic gave me a message "network protocols are missing on this computer".

Since I downloaded Win 10 as an update, I have no disk. Can Windows 10 reinstall the drivers w/o an internet connection, or do I need to download them to a USB drive for the desktop to update/reinstall?

Thanks

Scott

Message 3 of 7
nhann
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi @scottzxc,

Please visit your computer's manufacturer website and search by your computer model.
The products support page should have a list of available drivers based on operating system.

Or you can go to Windows 10 Device Manager and uninstall/update new drivers
http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/insider/wiki/insider_wintp-insider_devices/how-to-install-and-upd...

Message 4 of 7
CornishDave
Tutor

Scott

If you look at various forums the ability to connect to the internet is a known fault with W10. I had this problem with my HP Pavilion Desktop and had to revert to W8.1, which was not easy, HP provided assistance, Microsoft were useless! I had to go back to factory settings in the end which took several hours of my time but I have had no issues since reverting. Nothing to do with your EX 6100 I suspect, I have one that is working fine on 8.1. I keep getting messages from Microsoft telling me I can upgrade to W10 immediately, I have no intention of doing so!

Dave

Message 5 of 7
scottzxc
Aspirant

This is just too frustrating.  Now I can't get the EX6100 to connect to the internet via my (android) tablet.  It worked before. Using the tablet for setup,  I've tried an EX6100 reset, then WPS connection (no luck), then a reset and and the Netgear genie Smart SETup (no luck).  In both case my tablet seems to connect, I get four green lights, but NO internet!!!    No internet problem connecting my tablet to the modem wireless.

RE W10, Dell has no W10 drivers for my 'remote' computer.   I haven't tried finding and deleting the existing drivers as someone suggested .. I'm worried they'll be gone for good (with no internet to reload them.  (Ha, how sad.., one option in MS instructions on solving no internet connection says search internet for best driver).

Surely, after all this time there can't be a widespread W10 intenet connection problem??!!  (and just after I wiped the MS spit from my eyes for 8.0 and 8.1).  Is that with wireless, or with ethernet as well?.  I was debating moving my whole remote computer next to my wired  computer so I could connect the W10 computer to the net with an ethernet connection - a lot of work if it won't work!!

Message 6 of 7
nhann
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi scottzxc,

If you are still experiencing issues, you can contact support to check your HW/SW

http://support.netgear.com/general/contact/default.aspx

Message 7 of 7
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7