× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

EX6100 ethernet output connect to router?

bobmounger
Aspirant

EX6100 ethernet output connect to router?

I have shed on the end of my property, I had put an EX6100 & my garage to be able to access the internet in the shed & improve connectivity in my house.

This worked for several years, but now I am stuggling to connect & when I can, speeds are slow in the shed. I had thought to run ethernet from the ethernet connection to the shed & then place a device to provide local wifi in the shed. I had an old router & thought if I took the output & run it into a LAN port it might work, but it will not let me access the internet.

Is this possible or do I need another 6100 configured as an access port?

Model: EX6100|AC750 Dual Band WiFi Range Extender
Message 1 of 4

Accepted Solutions
bobmounger
Aspirant

Re: EX6100 ethernet output connect to router?

Hi Dexter, 

Thanks for the reply. I finally got it to work. The EX6100 was working fine. I had to fix the configuration of the router.

BUT lesson learned, The old router is a linksys wireless G & the outlet is switched. I mean that the power to the outlet is controlled by a light switch. I found that the linksys router apparently has no nonvolatile memory because even though I pulled the barrel plug in & out of the router several times with no ill effects, when I returned to the setup after having the power to the router turned off for a couple of hours, it had completely lost it's settings. A web search yielded numerous people describing the same thing. It sounds like Linksys uses a capacitor to retain settings instead of EEPROM!  Another good reason to buy Linksys

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 4

All Replies
DexterJB
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @bobmounger, what is the firmware version of the EX6100? Is it setup in AP mode or extender mode? Yes, it is possible. Are your devices still getting a strong signal from the extender when you're in the shed?

Dexter

Message 2 of 4
bobmounger
Aspirant

Hi Dexter, 

Thanks for the reply. I finally got it to work. The EX6100 was working fine. I had to fix the configuration of the router.

BUT lesson learned, The old router is a linksys wireless G & the outlet is switched. I mean that the power to the outlet is controlled by a light switch. I found that the linksys router apparently has no nonvolatile memory because even though I pulled the barrel plug in & out of the router several times with no ill effects, when I returned to the setup after having the power to the router turned off for a couple of hours, it had completely lost it's settings. A web search yielded numerous people describing the same thing. It sounds like Linksys uses a capacitor to retain settings instead of EEPROM!  Another good reason to buy Linksys

Message 3 of 4
bobmounger
Aspirant

Oops. I mean NOT to buy Linksys

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7