× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: EX6100v2 Signal dropping constantly

Hansom
Follower

EX6100v2 Signal dropping constantly

I have a Netgear wifi range extender model EX6100v2 and the signal drops all the time. The problem doesnt seem to be with my router, distance, or anything of that sort because I have a Linksys wifi adapter that works perfectly other than the kind of slow speed.The extender is ethernet connected to my computer also so the connection when doing the smart setup is usually 90-100%. I have tried the Fastlane also, it doesn't help the problem at all. After having it happen for so long I started timing it to see if it was timed, sometimes it seems to be on a 30 minute-ish timer. Others it can happen constantly or just all together lose connection for no reason. I dont know what to do, but I also dont want to use my warranty if the device isnt deffective.

Message 1 of 19
DexterJB
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @Hansom,

Welcome to the community!

1. What is the firmware version of the extender?

2. When you say "the signal drops", do you lose the SSID/WiFi  signal or just just the Internet access?

3. Have you tried changing the wireless channel?

4. What is the status of he router link LED when it drops?

5. Have you tried resetting the extender?

Regards,

Dexter

Community Team

Message 2 of 19
DexterJB
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @Hansom,

I would like to follow up and check if you are still experiencing the issue.

Regards,

Dexter
Community Team

Message 3 of 19
GJHolmes
Tutor

I am having the same issue. I have two EX6100/AC750 range extenders one at home and one at my work place. They are both set up as access points and both drop the wifi signal frequently. I am connected to the wifi on my Mac Book Pro. All frimware is up to date. Looking for a solution please.

Model: EX6100|AC750 WiFi Range Extender
Message 4 of 19
Ijn
Aspirant
Aspirant

I also have two EX6100 units set up as acess points, which drop wifi signals consistantly. I’ve been trying to solve this issue for quite sometime. The problem seems to be associated w IOS clients.

Message 5 of 19
DexterJB
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @GJHolmes and @Ijn,

Please provide your response to my previous inquiry with Hansom.

1. What is the firmware version of the extender?

2. When you say "the signal drops", do you lose the SSID/WiFi  signal or just just the Internet access?

3. Have you tried changing the wireless channel?

4. What is the status of he router link LED when it drops?

5. Have you tried resetting the extender?

Regards,

Dexter

Community Team

Message 6 of 19
Ijn
Aspirant
Aspirant

1. V1.0.2.24_1.1.134

2. just the internet access. My ipad reports I'm still connected to the extender's network.

3. yes. I have two access points set up using EX6100s (the first version of the model). They are situated at opposite ends of my home and connect to the router via CAT5 cable. 

My home is shaped like the letter "T". The wired router sits at the end of one wing on the ground floor. Each extender is at the end of the remaining wings, one on the second floor, and one in the attic to cover an area which otherwise would be a dead spot. Currently the 2.4GHz on both units is set to 'auto', and the 5.8GHz is set to the lowest frequency on one unit, and the highest available on the other. They have however previously had other settings, but exhibited the same issue. Note that all three units, the router and two extenders are emitting their own 2.4 and 5.8 GHz network, all under unique names. There are also other networks at nearby homes. I have surveyed the spectrum with Stumbler, an OSX app, which seems to indicate no two networks occupy the same channel, but obviously devices can frequency hop.

4. Typically green, although it does display red lights on occasion.

5. I have reset the extenders many times. 

Additionally, when I set up the two units, the last time, only one was powered while I was configuring it. I then powered off the first, and configured the second in the same way. The two units their networks named differently.

Typically the signal drop occurs while surfing with my ipad. This unit runs IOS12.x. I have rebooted the ipad, and reset it, done network resets, and forgotten the networks & re-initialized them many times. I have not noticed the internet dropping with other hardware, but rarely connect to the extender networks with anything but an ios device.
Message 7 of 19
DexterJB
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @Ijn,

Do your iOS devices stay connected when on the main network (not on the extender)?

Regards,

Dexter

Community Team

Message 8 of 19
Ijn
Aspirant
Aspirant

They remain connected on the main network.

Message 9 of 19
StephenB
Guru

@Ijn wrote:

4. Typically green, although it does display red lights on occasion.

That could be related.  Is it possible to test the extenders in new locations (a bit closer to the router)?

Message 10 of 19
Ijn
Aspirant
Aspirant

They are set up as acess points, connected to the router by cat5.

Message 11 of 19
Ijn
Aspirant
Aspirant

Ooh, perhaps I have a bad cable- will check.

Message 12 of 19
DexterJB
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @Ijn,

Please keep us posted.

Regards,

Dexter

Community Team

Message 13 of 19
Ijn
Aspirant
Aspirant

Ok, so I believe the situation may be resolved my problem, though not perfectly. I have come to believe that when two AC750 (EX6500) units are both set up as extenders (i.e. they are connected to a router by ethernet) AND they are within radio range of each other, they do not coordinate their frequencies. So as time passes if they are set to auto (they adjust to the best frequency) they will at some point sooner or later pick the same frequency, and jam each other - and clients on either one loose their connection. For some reason this also appears to happen if I specify a particular frequency (i.e. not set to auto).

So, to resolve this issue, I set one of them as an extender. The extender is set to repeat the access point's signal. In this configuration, I THINK that the two units are forced  to coordinate frequencies. I find that often the nearest EX6100 (which is the extender) will drop my client, and I'll wind up on the far EX6100 (the access point), but I still remain connected to the internet. As I say, its not perfect, but its much less frustrating than the original situation.

Message 14 of 19
StephenB
Guru

Normally a single band or dual band extender needs to use the same channels as your router.  That's because it only has one radio per band - which can't be tuned to two channels at the same time.  The only way to avoid this is to use fastlane.

In AP mode the channels can be independent.  I agree it's reasonable idea to manually assign them, especially in the 2.4 ghz band where the channels overlap. 

Generally speaking it seems very odd that changing one of the EX6100s to extender mode would reduce the signal drops - I can't think of any mechanism that would do that, especially when the channels are manually assigned. Even when there is interference, you can almost always still connect - you might see somewhat lower performance, but you normally won't see a drop.

Message 15 of 19
Ijn
Aspirant
Aspirant

Well, I suppose then the difficulty then might be a neighbor's wifi signal interferring with mine (there are quite a few detectable transmitters outside my home within range) or possibly interference from non-network appliances inside my house. I originally installed the second EX6100 to deal with a dead zone due to interference from what I believe was caused by the internal duct work associated with a clothes dryer. Perhaps when the dryer operates the radio environment changes enough to confound the system.

Message 16 of 19
StephenB
Guru

Certainly metal ductwork can block the signal.  Technically that's not interference, since it doesn't create a competing signal.

Your neighbor's wifi can cause a reduction in throughput but generally it won't actually result in a connection drop.  Appliances and other radio technologies running in the 2.4 ghz could do that though.

Message 17 of 19
Ijn
Aspirant
Aspirant

I have No argument w any of your points, but where does that leave us?

Message 18 of 19
StephenB
Guru

@Ijn wrote:

where does that leave us?

Well, you are saying your issue is resolved for now, so if your WiFi performance is ok with your current AP + Extender configuration, then I'd just leave well enough alone.

If the WiFi performance is inadequate, then more troubleshooting is needed.  It could possibly be a marginal cat-5 cable going to the extender (or an issue with the router or extender switch port).  If that's the case, you'd still have a wifi connection to the extender, but you'd be unable to reach the internet.  One way to test this is to reverse the AP and extender configurations, and see if the problem returns.

You could also try turning off the extender that is acting as the AP (configuring the other one as an AP) - that would be one way to test out your interference theory.

Message 19 of 19
Discussion stats
  • 18 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7